A Bio-inspired Aggregation with Robot Swarm Using Real and Simulated Mobile Robots
- 1.4k Downloads
This paper presents an implementation of a bio-inspired aggregation scenario using swarm robots. The aggregation scenario took inspiration from honeybee’s thermotactic behaviour in finding an optimal zone in their comb. To realisation of the aggregation scenario, real and simulated robots with different population sizes were used. Mona, which is an open-source and open-hardware platform was deployed to play the honeybee’s role in this scenario. A model of Mona was also generated in Stage for simulation of aggregation scenario with large number of robots. The results of aggregation with real- and simulated-robots showed reliable aggregations and a population dependent swarm performance. Moreover, the results demonstrated a direct correlation between the results observed from the real robot and simulation experiments.
KeywordsAggregation Swarm robotics Bio-inspired Open-source
This work was supported by the EPSRC (Project No. EP/P01366X/1).
- 6.Arvin, F., Espinosa, J., Bird, B., West, A., Watson, S., Lennox, B.: Mona: an affordable open-source mobile robot for education and research. J. Intell. Robot. Syst. (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10846-018-0866-9
- 8.Arvin, F., Krajník, T., Turgut, A.E., Yue, S.: COS\(\varPhi \): artificial pheromone system for robotic swarms research. In: IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), pp. 407–412 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Arvin, F., Watson, S., Turgut, A., Espinosa, J., Krajník, T., Lennox, B.: Perpetual robot swarm: long-term autonomy of mobile robots using on-the-fly inductive charging. J. Intell. Robot. Syst. 1–18 (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Arvin, F., Samsudin, K., Ramli, A.R., Bekravi, M.: Imitation of honeybee aggregation with collective behavior of swarm robots. Int. J. Comput. Intell. Syst. 4(4), 739–748 (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Ivaldi, S., Padois, V., Nori, F.: Tools for dynamics simulation of robots: a survey based on user feedback. arXiv:1402.7050 (2014)
- 19.Koenig, N., Howard, A.: Design and use paradigms for gazebo, an open-source multi-robot simulator. In: IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), vol. 3, pp. 2149–2154 (2004)Google Scholar
- 26.Hereford, J.: Analysis of BEECLUST swarm algorithm. In: IEEE Symposium on Swarm Intelligence, pp. 1–7 (2011)Google Scholar