Conclusion and Coda: A Presidential Election, My Cousin Rachel, and the Lingering Effects of the Medicinal Poisoner
Crosby ends her examination of the medicalized poisonous woman with a coda that follows the metaphor and its political implications into the two opposing narratives still shaping constructions of the public in the USA. She investigates how this vision of America as either multi-racial and feminist or white and male supremacist played out in the rhetoric around poisonous women in the 2016 presidential election and how it lingers in current films about poisonous women, such as 2017’s My Cousin Rachel.
- Erbland, Kate. 2017. Rachel Weisz on the ‘Vivid’ and Unexpected Feminism of Her Gothic Thriller My Cousin Rachel. Indiewire, June 9. http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/my-cousin-rachel-star-rachel-weisz-feminism-gothic-thriller-1201839971/.
- Evans, Lauren. 2017. Surprise! Harriet Tubman May Not Be On the New $20 Bill After All. Jezebel.com, August 31. http://jezebel.com/surprise-harriet-tubman-may-not-be-on-the-new-20-bill-1798685359.
- Lady Macbeth. Directed by William Oldroyd. 2016. London: Sixty Six Pictures.Google Scholar
- My Cousin Rachel. Directed by Henry Coster. 1952. Twentieth Century Fox.Google Scholar
- My Cousin Rachel. Directed by Roger Michell. 2017. London: Fox Searchlight Pictures. DVD.Google Scholar
- O’Neil, Tyler. 2017. [Updated] Daily Stormer to Disappear from the Internet After Insulting Victim of Deadly Car-Ramming in Charlottesville, August 14. https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/08/14/white-supremacist-website-daily-stormer-called-heather-heyer-a-fat-childless-slt/.
- Wang, Amy B. 2017. One Group Loved Trump’s Remarks About Charlottesville: White Supremacists. The Washington Post, August 13. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/08/13/one-group-loved-trumps-remarks-about-charlottesville-white-supremacists/?utm_term=.83bf09878ec6.
- Auerbach, Nina. 2002. Daphne du Maurier, Haunted Heiress. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.Google Scholar
- Heer, Jeet. 2016. Don’t Let Trump’s Toxic Masculinity Overshadow Hillary’s Historic Achievement. New Republic, October 14. https://newrepublic.com/article/137809/dont-let-trumps-toxic-masculinity-overshadow-hillarys-historic-achievement.
- Jao, Charline. 2017. How My Cousin Rachel Flips the Script on Female Villainy and Male Perspectives. The Mary Sue, June 26. https://www.themarysue.com/how-my-cousin-rachel-female-villainy/.
- Lakoff, Robin. 2014. Our Weird Hillary Clinton Obsession: Why Do We Hang on Her Every Word? Politico Magazine, June 29. http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/our-weird-hillary-clinton-obsession-108385.
- Marche, Stephen. 2016. How Toxic Masculinity Poisoned the 2016 Election, March 9. http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a42802/toxic-masculine-discourse/.
- Parisi, Paula. All the Records Taylor Swift’s ‘Look What You Made Me Do’ Has Broken So Far. http://variety.com/2017/music/news/taylor-swift-look-what-you-made-me-do-breaks-records-1202543253/.