Aotearoa/New Zealand Adaptation Strategies and Practices
IPCC has criticised Aotearoa/New Zealand for not being proactive with adaptation measures to date. However, some initiatives have been developed and actioned mainly by Māori and wider community groups. Local government has been given the mandate from central government to lead the way in climate change adaption and this chapter outlines some of the initiatives and challenges towards effective adaptation. A case study from the South Island hapū, Kāti Huirapa is one example of a Māori-led initiative to providing effective and culturally responsive actions for future sustainability of vulnerable resources. This chapter promotes a Mātauraka-a-Iwi approach to climate change that best illustrates the idea of states of transition and renegotiating relationships in order to move forward.
KeywordsAdaptation Local government Community strategies Kāti Huirapa adaptation project
- Brougham, A. E., Reed, A. W., & Kāretu, T. (2009). The Raupō Book of Māori Proverbs. Auckland: Penguin Group (NZ).Google Scholar
- King, D., Dalton, W., Duncan, M., Srinivasan, M. S., Bind, J., Zammit, C., McKerchar, A., Ashford-Hosking, D., & Skipper, A. (2012, March). Maori Community Adaptation to Climate Variability and Change. Examining Risk, Vulnerability and Adaptive Strategies with Ngati Huirapa at Arowhenua Pa, Te Umu Kaha (Temuka), New Zealand. Prepared for Te Runanga o Arowhenua Society Incorporated and the New Zealand Climate Change Research Institute – Victoria University, Wellington.Google Scholar
- Kwadijk, J. C. J., Haasnoot, M., Mulder, J. P. M., Hoogvliet, M. M. C., Jeuken, A. B. M., van der Krogt, R. A. A., van Oostrom, N. G. C., Schelfhout, H. A., van Velzen, E. H., van Waveren, H., & de Wit, M. J. M. (2010). Using Adaptation Tipping Points to Prepare for Climate Change and Sea Level Rise: A Case Study in the Netherlands. In WiREs Climate Change. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. http://wiley.com/climatechange
- McCarthy, J. J., Canziani, O. F., Leary, N. A., Dokken, D. J., & White, K. S. (Eds.). (2010). Cited in Kawadijk, J. C. J., Haasnoot, M., Mulder, J. P. M., Hoogvliet, M. M. C., Jeuken, A. B. M., van der Krogt, R. A. A., Oostrom, N. G. S., Schelfhout, H. A., van Velzen, E. H., van Waveren, H., & de Wit, M. J. M. Using Adaptation Tipping Points to Prepare for Climate Change and Sea Level Rise: A Case Study in the Netherlands. In WIREs Clim Change. Wiley.Google Scholar
- Nyong, A., Adesina, F., & Osman Elasha, B. (2007). The Value of Indigenous Knowledge in Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies in the African Sahel. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global change, 12, 787–797. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11027-007-9099-0.