Setting the Scene
Mitigation and adaptation are defined in this chapter in the context of how they fit within the debate and action here in Aotearoa/New Zealand. Several indigenous scholars argue that these should not be thought of separately, but as one set of challenges. This is a perspective that best suits indigenous knowledge (IK) beliefs and practices as a way of dealing with the impact from climate change. As a Pacific Island nation and one apex of the Polynesian triangle, Aotearoa/New Zealand has its own IK frameworks, which have origins in the Pacific. The Pacific-Māori links will be discussed, as will the origins of Māori ecological knowledge within Aotearoa/New Zealand.
KeywordsMāori and Pacific networks Mitigation Adaptation Sea-level rise Flooding
- Carter, L., & Ruru, J. (2005). “Freeing the Natives” The Role of the Treaty of Waitangi in the Reassertion of tikanga Māori. In N. Thomas (Ed.), Te Tai Haruru. Journal of Maori Legal Writing, 2, 15–36.Google Scholar
- Harmsworth, G. (2003). Maori Perspectives on Kyoto Policy: Interim Results. Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from the Terrestrial Biosphere (C09X0212). Discussion Paper for Policy Agencies (Climate Change Office; MfE, MAF, TPK). Palmerston North: Landcare Research NZ.Google Scholar
- Kwadijk, J. C. J., Haasnoot, M., Mulder, J. P. M., Hoogvliet, M. M. C., Jeuken, A. B. M., van der Krogt, R. A. A., van Oostrom, N. G. C., Schelfhout, H. A., van Velzen, E. H., van Waveren, H., & de Wit, M. J. M. (2010). Using Adaptation Tipping Points to Prepare for Climate Change and Sea Level Rise: A Case Study in the Netherlands. In WiREs Climate Change. John Wiley & Sons Ltd. http://wiley.com/climatechange
- Mead, H. M., & Grove, N. (2001). Ngā Pēpeha a ngā Tīpuna. The Sayings of the Ancestors. Wellington: Victoria University Press.Google Scholar
- Nyong, A., Adesina, F., & Osman Elasha, B. (2007). The Value of Indigenous Knowledge in Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies in the African Sahel. Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, 12, 787–797. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11027-007-9099-0.