Prediction of Crop Pests and Diseases in Cotton by Long Short Term Memory Network
This paper aims to predict the occurrence of pests and diseases for cotton based on long short term memory (LSTM) network. First, the problem of occurrence of pests and diseases was formulated as time series prediction. Then LSTM was adopted to solve the problem. LSTM is a special kind of recurrent neutral network (RNN), which introduces gate mechanism to prevent the vanished or exploding gradient problem. It has been shown good performance in solving time series problem and can handle the long-term dependency problem, as mentioned in many literatures. The experimental results showed that LSTM performed good on the prediction of occurrence of pests and diseases in cotton fields, and yielded an Area Under the Curve (AUC) of 0.97. The paper further verified that the weather factors indeed have strong impact on the occurrence of pests and diseases, and the LSTM network has great advantage on solving the long-term dependency problem.
KeywordsLong short term memory Weather factors Recurrent neural network Occurrence of pests and diseases
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 61672035, 61300058 and 61472282).
- 1.Wu, K.M., Lu, Y.H., Wang, Z.Y.: Advance in integrated pest management of crops in China. Chin. Bull. Entomol. 46(6), 831–836 (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Luo, J.Y., Zhang, S., Ren, X.L., et al.: Research progress of cotton insect pests in China in recent ten years. Cotton Sci. 29, 100–112 (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Satnam, S., Mridula, G., Suneet, P., et al.: Selection of housekeeping genes and demonstration of RNAi in cotton leafhopper. Amrasca biguttula biguttula. 13(1), e0191116 (2018)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhang, W.Y., Jing, T.Z., Yan, S.C.: Studies on prediction models of Dendrolimus superans occurrence area based on machine learning. J. Beijing For. Univ. 39(1), 85–93 (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Huang, D.S.: Systematic Theory of Neural Networks for Pattern Recognition. Publishing House of Electronic Industry of China, May 1996Google Scholar
- 7.Graves, A.: Generating sequences with recurrent neutral networks. Comput. Sci. (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, J.W., Luong, M.T., Dan, J.: A hierarchical neural autoencoder for paragraphs and documents. In: ACL 2015, v2, 6 June 2015Google Scholar
- 9.Gao, H.Y., Mao, J.H., Zhou, J., et al.: Are you talking to a machine? Dataset and methods for multilingual image question answering. arXiv:1505.05612 (2015)
- 10.Theis, L., Bethge, M.: Generative image modeling using spatial LSTMs. arXiv:1506.03478 (2015)
- 11.Kalchbrenner, N., Danihelka, I., Graves, A.: Grid long short-term memory. Comput. Sci. (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Kingma, D.P., Ba, J.: Adam: A Method for Stochastic Optimization. Computer Science. arXiv:1412.6980. (2015)