Violence Against Refugees and the Turkish Mainstream Media
The Syrian Civil War is the last and most bloody episode of Arab Spring, and at the same time is an information war between two imperialist sides: pro-Russian Eurasianist and pro-Western “Freedom Fighter.” The aim of this study is to show the representation of the violence committed against refugees as it is presented in the Turkish media. The analysis is done in the context of the 2015 European migrant crisis in the EU. The sample of analysis was made from news published in the Turkish mainstream/ pro-government media. The study uses Marxist semiotics discourse analysis and has sought to identify the parts of the information war in the structure (economic and political relations of the media) and position (on ISIS, on ISIS attacks in Turkey and the controversial EU–Turkey refugee deal) within the Turkish media.
Keywords2015 European migrant crisis Syrian civil war Turkish mainstream media ISIS EU Russia
- Al-Marashi, I. (2016, September 30). What the Spanish civil war can reveal about Syria. Aljazeera. http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2016/09/spanish-civil-war-reveal-syria-160927053935205.html. Accessed 3 Dec 2017.
- Althusser L. (1970). Ideology and ideological state apparatuses. La Pensée.Google Scholar
- Amnesty International. (2015). Press release, Syria: US ally’s razing of villages amounts to war crimes. Amnesty International. https://www.amnesty.org/en/press-releases/2015/10/syria-us-allys-razing-of-villages-amounts-to-war-crimes/. Accessed 3 May 2017.
- Barnard, A., Gordon, M. R., & Schmitt, E. (2015, June 27). Turkey and U.S. plan to create Syria ‘safe zone’ free of ISIS. New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/28/world/middleeast/turkey-and-us-agree-on-plan-to-clear-isis-from-strip-of-northern-syria.html. Accessed 3 May 2017.
- Bartlett, E. (2016, March 3). Western media ignoring reality on the ground in Syria. RT. https://www.rt.com/op-ed/334401-western-reporting-syrian-reality/. Accessed 3 May 2017.
- Baudrillard, J. (1968). The system of objects. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Beck, U. (2013). German Europe. Cambridge/Oxford: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Bernstein, J. (2015, December 2). US dismisses Russian allegations of Turkey’s involvement in trading IS oil. Voanews. https://www.voanews.com/a/russia-claims-to-have-proof-turkey-involved-in-is-oil-trade/3084253.html. Accessed 25 Dec 2017.
- Bloomberg, J. (2017, June 26). What is Bitcoin’s elusive intrinsic value? Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonbloomberg/2017/06/26/what-is-bitcoins-elusive-intrinsic-value/#3386c86a7194. Accessed 30 Dec 2017.
- Cansen, E. (2017, November). Turkish Bank Ekonomi Raporu. https://www.turkishbank.com/tbtuploads/2017/11/ER-11-17-1.pdf. Accessed 30 Dec 2017.
- Chossudovsky, M. (2010, September 1). Global warfare. Preparing for world war III, targeting Iran. Global Research. https://www.globalresearch.ca/preparing-for-world-war-iii-targeting-iran/20403. Accessed 3 May 2017.
- Clark, N. (2016, September 7). Top 10 Western lies about Syrian conflict. Russian Today. https://www.rt.com/op-edge/358507-top-10-western-lies-syrian/. Accessed 13 Apr 2017.
- Daily Sabah. (2016, March 31). Alparslan Çelik, who allegedly killed pilot of downed Russian jet, arrested in western Turkey, daily Sabah. Daily Sabah. https://www.dailysabah.com/politics/2016/04/03/alparslan-celik-who-allegedly-killed-pilot-of-downed-russian-jet-arrested-in-western-turkey. Accessed 3 May 2017.
- Deeb, A. (2016, August 25). Operation ‘Euphrates shield’ ends ISIL rule in Jarablus. Al-Jazeera. http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpictures/2016/08/operation-euphrates-shield-ends-isil-rule-jarablus-160825085704650.html. Accessed 13 Apr 2017.
- Derrida, J. (1997). Of grammatology. Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Dugin, A. (1997). Foundations of geopolitics: The geopolitical future of Russia. Independently published.Google Scholar
- Dündar, C. (2015). İşte Erdoğan’ın Yok dediği Silahlar. Cumhuriyet.Google Scholar
- Eagleton, T. (1976). Marxism and literary criticism. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Eco, U. (1978). A theory of semiotcs. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Eroğlu, D. (2016, June 30). Cihatçılara verilendestek katliamları rutinleştirdi. Birgün. https://www.birgun.net/haber-detay/cihatcilara-verilen-destek-katliamlari-rutinlestirdi-118211.html. Accessed 3 May 2017.
- Eurostat. (2018). Asylum quarterly report. Eurostat. http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Asylum_quarterly_report. Accessed 30 Dec 2017.
- Fisk, R. (2017, September 7). The West might hardly believe it, but it now seems the Syrian war is ending-and Assad is the victor. Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/syrian-war-ending-bashar-al-assad-won-robert-fisk-syria-middle-east-israel-british-troops-a7933966.html. Accessed 25 Dec 2017.
- Hançerlioğlu, O. (1979). Felsefe ansiklopedisi: kavramlar ve akımlar (Vol. 6). İstanbul: Remzi Kitabevi.Google Scholar
- Humboldt, W. (1999). On language: On the diversity of human language construction and its influence on the mental development of the human species. London/New York: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Hurriyet Daily News. (2012, September 6). Premier vows to pray in Damascus mosque ‘soon’. Hurriyet Daily News. http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/premier-vows-to-pray-in-damascus-mosque-soon.aspx?pageID=238&nID=29505&NewsCatID=338. Accessed 3 May 2017.
- Hurriyet Daily News. (2014, March 7). Syria absolutely behind Reyhanlı attack, says Turkish ministry. Hurriyet Daily News. http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/syria-absolutely-behind-reyhanli-attack-says-turkish-ministry.aspx?pageID=238&nID=64634&NewsCatID=509. Accessed 3 Dec 2017.
- Itani, F. (2014, September 28). Is Assad really better than ISIS? The Hill. http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/international/216112-is-assad-really-better-than-isis. Accessed 13 May 2017.
- Jay, M. (2017, April 17). Rank hypocrisy: Western media caught in its own echo chamber over Syria. RT. https://www.rt.com/op-ed/385066-syria-convoy-blast-msm/. Accessed 25 Dec 2017.
- Karakaş, C. (2012, March 14). Can Dündar’a Mektup. Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/pg/DevrimciTutsaklarOnurumuzdurr/photos/?tab=album&album_id=341188805927592. Accessed 7 May 2017.
- Kesler, G. (2013, September 6). President Obama and the ‘red line’ on Syria’s chemical weapons. The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/president-obama-and-the-red-line-on-syrias-chemical-weapons. Accessed 3 April 2017.
- Lacoste, Y. (2007). Atlas Geopolitique. Paris: Larousse.Google Scholar
- Lapavitsas, C. (2014, May 7). The left needs a progressive Euroscepticism to counter the EU’s ills. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/07/left-progressive-euroscepticism-eu-ills. Accessed 13 Mar 2017.
- Lenin, V. (1975). Maksizm ve Devlet Üzerine. İstanbul: Öncü Yayınları.Google Scholar
- Lukin, A. (2016, June 14). The EU looks like the dying soviet empire. Global Affairs. http://eng.globalaffairs.ru/book/The-EU-Looks-Like-the-Dying-Soviet-Empire-18283. Accessed 20 Dec 2017.
- Lund, A. (2013, June 17). Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels. Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/freedom-fighters-cannibals-the-truth-about-syria-s-rebels-8662618.html. Accessed 3 June 2017.
- MacFarquhar, N., and Gordon, M. R. (2012, October 31). As fighting rages, Clinton seeks new Syrian opposition. New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/world/middleeast/syrian-air-raids-increase-as-battle-for-strategic-areas-intensifies-rebels-say.html. Accessed 13 June 2017.
- Mahalli, H. (2016). Al Sana Bahar. Istanbul: Destek Yayınları.Google Scholar
- Majone, G. (2009). Dilemma of European integration. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Medyatava. (2017). 3 Kasım 2017–19 Kasım 2017 haftası, Tiraj Tablosu. Medyatava. http://www.medyatava.com/tiraj. Accessed 8 Mar 2017.
- Sabah. (2016, December 6). Irkçı Avrupa’nın Gerçek Yüzü. Sabah. http://www.sabah.com.tr/dunya/2016/12/06/irkci-avrupanin-gercek-yuzu. Accessed 25 Dec 2017.
- Tümer, D. Ö. (2015, November 24). Portre: Berat Albayrak. Al-Jazeera. http://www.aljazeera.com.tr/al-jazeera-ozel/portre-berat-albayrak. Accessed 13 Mar 2017.
- Varol, M. (2015, November 20). Yunan Sahil Güvenlik Mülteci Botunu Böyle Patlattı. Hürriyet. http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/yunan-sahil-guvenlik-multeci-botunu-boyle-patlatti-40016425. Accessed 3 June 2017.
- Weinthal, B. (2018, January 13). British Parliament to debate full ban of Hezbollah as terrorist entity. Jerusalem Post. http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/British-Parliament-to-debate-full-ban-of-Hezbollah-as-terrorist-entity-534623. Accessed 20 May 2017.
- Yenişafak. (2016, August 25). Operation Euphrates shield: Timeline. Yenişafak. https://www.yenisafak.com/en/news/operation-euphrates-shield-timeline-2517043. Accessed 9 Apr 2017.
- Zhang, B., Borelli, G., & Pozio, A. (2014). Semiotics and Marxism. Paper presented at the 12th World Congress of Semiotics Sofia 2014. New Bulgarian University, Sofia.Google Scholar