Making a Case for the Playful University
This is a rallying cry, heralding all following contributions in the collection. It sets out key themes and diverse perspectives on play, drawing on published literature and practice. It nuances the differences between creativity and play, while underscoring the importance of imagination and innovation in pedagogy. It argues for the importance of play in HE to be better understood and connects the benefits of play to examples of play in practice across the disciplines and across countries. It challenges reductive interpretations of play and considers the reasons why resistance to play exists and counters mistrust of play in HE. In arguing for a ‘mixed economy of play’, it offers many examples of play which show that academics are already playing more than is realised.
keywordsTheory Festival Definitions Types Interpretations Emotions
- Ackerman, D. (2000). Deep Play. New York: Vintage.Google Scholar
- Associated Press. (2016, June 30, Thursday). Alvin Toffler Dies Aged 87. The Guardian. Available at https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/jun/30/alvin-toffler-author-of-future-shock-dies-aged-87. Accessed May 30, 2018.
- Association of National Teaching Fellows Annual Symposium. (2016, March). Programme. Available at http://ntf-association.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/ANTF-Symposium-2016-abstracts-v3.pdf. Accessed May 30, 2018.
- Blackwelder, C. (2017, March 29). These 404 People Dressed Like Albert Einstein to Break a World Record—And All for a Good Cause. Available at http://aplus.com/a/guinness-world-record-albert-einstein-next-einstein-competition?no_monetization=true. Accessed May 30, 2018.
- Brown, S. (2009). Play: How It Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination and Invigorates the Soul. New York: Avery.Google Scholar
- Counterplay. http://www.counterplay.org.
- Diamond, M. (n.d.). The Significance of Enrichment. Available at http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n11/mente/diamond1.html. Accessed May 30, 2018.
- Gray, P. (n.d.). The Value of Play. BlogpostforPsychologytoday.com. Available at https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/200811/the-value-play-i-the-definition-play-gives-insights. Accessed May 30, 2018.
- Huizinga, J. (1938). Homo Ludens. First ed. Later publication in 1971. Boston: The Beacon Press.Google Scholar
- James, A., & Brookfield, S. D. (2014). Engaging Imagination: Helping Student Become Creative and Reflective Thinkers. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. Google Scholar
- Kane, P. (2004). The Play Ethic: A Manifesto for a Different Way of Living. New York: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Nachmanovitch, S. (1990). Free Play: Improvisation in Life and Art. New York: Tarcher/Penguin.Google Scholar
- Parr, R. (2014, May 1). The Importance of Play. Times Higher Education Supplement. Retrieved from https://www.timeshighereducation.com/features/the-importance-of-play/2012937.article.
- Pellis, S. Cited in Parr (2014) Above.Google Scholar
- Playtherapy.org.uk. http://playtherapy.org.uk/ChildrensEmotionalWellBeing/AboutPlayTherapy/MainPrinciples/PlayDefinition. Accessed May 30, 2018.
- Robinson, K. (2011). Out of Our Minds: Learning to Be Creative. Chichester, UK: Capstone.Google Scholar
- Serious Play Conference Website. http://seriousplayconf.com.
- Siekierska, A. (2017, March 28, Tuesday). World Record Set in Toronto for Largest Crowd Dressed as Einstein. The Star, Toronto. Available at https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/03/28/world-record-set-in-toronto-for-largest-crowd-dressed-as-einstein.html. Accessed May 30, 2018.
- Sutton-Smith, B. (1997). The Ambiguity of Play. Cambridge, MA and London: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Sword, H. (n.d.). Zombie Nouns Ted-Ed Talk. Available at https://ed.ted.com/lessons/beware-of-nominalizations-aka-zombie-nouns-helen-sword. Accessed May 30, 2018.
- The Telegraph. (2015). University of Cambridge to Hire ‘Professor of Lego’. Available at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11670591/University-of-Cambridge-to-hire-professor-of-Lego.html. Accessed May 30, 2018.
- University of Berkeley Obituary of Marian Diamond. Available at http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/07/28/marian-diamond-known-for-studies-of-einsteins-brain-dies-at-90/. Accessed at May 30, 2018.