Experimental Investigations on Uplift Capacities of Single and Group of Granular Anchor Piles
Among a variety of ground improvement techniques, granular piles or stone columns find use in a variety of ground problems. Although Granular piles are economical and versatile in application, they are unable to provide safeguard the foundation against uplift or pull-out loads. In such situations, a modification over granular pile known as granular anchor piles is used. In the present study, a series of pull-out tests has been conducted on granular anchor piles by varying its diameter and length to diameter ratio. Pull-out tests have also been conducted on group of two granular anchor pile by varying the spacing between them. It was observed that, with increase in diameter and length to diameter ratio of granular anchor piles, pull-out capacity increases. The pull-out resistance of the group of two pile was found to be greater than that for a single pile having same diameter and length to diameter ratio. But it was lesser than twice the capacity of single pile. The value further increased when the spacing between piles was increased from three times diameter to four times diameter .
All the authors want to express their deep sense of gratitude towards CSIR-CBRI for sponsoring the research project. Authors also want to acknowledge the help of Dr. Pradeep Kumar, Scientist E CSIR-CBRI for extending kind help in providing some experimental accessories.
- IS:2720 (Part 2)-1973: Methods of Test for Soils-Determination of Water Content. Bureau of Indian Standards, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- IS:2720 (Part 3)-1980: Methods of Test for Soils-Determination of Specific Gravity. Bureau of Indian Standards, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- IS:2720 (Part 5)-1985: Methods of Test for Soils-Determination of Liquid and Plastic Limit. Bureau of Indian Standards, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- IS:2720 (Part 7)-1974: Methods of Test for Soils-Determination of Water Content-Dry Density Relation Using Light Compaction. Bureau of Indian Standards, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- IS:2720 (Part 10)-1991: Methods of Test for Soils-Determination of Unconfined Compressive Strength. Bureau of Indian Standards, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- Krishna, P.H., Murty, V.R.: Pull-out capacity of granular anchor piles in expansive soils. IOSR J. Mech. Civ. Eng. (IOSR-JMCE) 5(1), 24–31 (2013)Google Scholar
- Kumar, M.: An Experimental Study on Granular Anchor Piles, M. Tech Dissertation submitted to Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee (2017)Google Scholar
- Phanikumar, B.R., Srirama Rao, A.: Granular pile anchors in expansive soils. In: Proceedings of a National Seminar on Partially Saturated Soils and Expansive Soils, Kakinada, India, pp. 15–22 (1996)Google Scholar
- Phanikumar, B.R., Ramachandra Rao, N.: Increasing pull-out capacity of granular pile anchors in reactive soils using base geosynthetics. Can. Geotech. J. 37(4), 870–881 (2000)Google Scholar
- Rao, A.S., Phanikumar, B.R., Babu, R.D., Suresh, K.S.: Pull-out behaviour of granular pile-anchors in expansive clay beds in-situ. ASCE J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng. 133(5), 531–538 (2007)Google Scholar