Weathered Swelling Mudstone Landslide and Mitigation Measures in the Yanji Basin: A Case Study
Some national expressways and railways were routed through the Yanji basin with weak rock foothills. To achieve acceptable grades, a lot of excavations in swelling mudstones were performed, eventually forming many swelling mudstone slopes. After heavy rainfalls, slope failures occurred which were often attributed to the presence of swelling mudstones. Field and experimental investigations were carried out on a representative landslide with emphasis on the landslide causes and the higher landslide incidence in south-facing slopes in the Yanji Basin was also discussed. On this basis, a multipath mitigation method including drainage and reinforcement measures was employed for the landslide case. Considering the effect of slope orientation, distinctive vegetation was distinguishingly planted on the south-facing and north-facing slopes. The later field survey showed that the undertaken mitigation measures were efficient to prevent the landslide development and deserved to be adopted in other swelling rock and soil regions.
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 41430634) and the State Key Laboratory of Geomechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (Grant No. Y11002). The authors are very grateful to their financial support.
- Cheng, Z.L., Li, Q.Y., Guo, X.L., Gong, B.W.: Study on the stability of expansive soil slope. J. Yangtze River Sci. Res. Inst. 28(10), 102–111 (2011)Google Scholar
- He, M.C., Leng, X.C., Heng, C.Y., Wu, X., Zhang, M.F.: Research on the expansive soft rock in Yanbian region. Chin. J. Rock Mechan. Eng. 22(7), 1151–1155 (2003)Google Scholar
- He, M.C., Liu, C.Y., Wu, X.: A case study on the reinforcement countermeasures for strongly swelling soft rock llope in Yanji Basin. J. Jiling University 35(4), 496–500 (2005)Google Scholar
- Kong L.W., Zeng Z.X., Bai W., Wang M.: Engineering geological properties of weathered swelling mudstones and their effects on the landslides occurrence in the yanji section of the jilin-hunchun high-speed railway. Bull. Eng. Geol. Environ. 1–13 (2017)Google Scholar
- Ren, Q.: The Research of characteristics and failures mechanism on typical landslide systems along Shiyan-Tianshui Expressway West Hanzhong Section. Ph.D. thesis, Changsha University of Science and Technology, Changsha, China (2014)Google Scholar
- Wang, J., Su, A., Xiang, W., Yeh, H.F., Xiong, C., Zou, Z., Zhong, C., Liu, Q.B.: New data and interpretations of the shallow and deep deformation of Huangtupo no.1 riverside sliding mass during seasonal rainfall and water level fluctuation. Landslides 1–10 (2016)Google Scholar
- Zheng, P.: The stability analysis and treatment of technical research for expensive soils cut slope in Nanning-Youyiguan Expressway. Master thesis, Changsha University of Science and Technology, Changsha, China (2005)Google Scholar