DEM Study of the Three Dimensional Effect of Soil Arching in Piled-Embankments
Soil arching plays an important role in the design of piled-embankments of transportation facilities. This paper aims to study the three dimensional effect of soil arching in piled-embankments by discrete element simulation. The results show the formation of soil arching and the stress transfer mechanism. The evolution of the stress ratio of pile cap and subsoil was obtained, and the overestimation of the arching effect in plane strain condition was revealed. According to the movements of soil particles, the 3D uneven settlement pattern characteristic was plotted and clearly shows the formation of soil arching. The direction of major principal stress in three typical sections clearly shows the 3D effect of stress transfer mechanism. The obtained results are useful for the deformation calculation of high-speed railway piled embankment.
The financial supports by National Basic Research Program of China (through grant No. 2014CB049100) and National Science Foundation of China (NSFC through grant No. U1433123) are gratefully acknowledged.
- Chevalier, B., Otani, J.: 3-D arching effect in the trap-door problem: a comparison between X-ray CT scanning and DEM analysis. In: GeoFlorida 2010: Advances in Analysis, Modeling & Design, pp. 570–579 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1061/41095(365)54
- Han, J., et al.: DEM analysis of stresses and deformations of geogrid-reinforced embankments over piles. Int. J. Geomech. 12(4), 340–350 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)gm.1943-5622.0000050CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hewlett, W.J., Randolph, M.F.: Analysis of piled embankments. Int. J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci. Geomech. Abstr. 25(6), 297–298 (1988)Google Scholar
- Moradi, G., et al.: Experimental modeling and measuring stresses and strains during arching phenomenon. Geosciences 5(2), 53–61 (2015)Google Scholar
- Nadukuru, S.S., Michalowski, R.L.: Arching in distribution of active load on retaining walls. J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng. 138(5), 575–584 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)gt.1943-5606.0000617CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Russell, D., Pierpoint, N.: An assessment of design methods for piled embankments. Ground Eng. 30(10), 39–44 (1997)Google Scholar
- Son, M.: Three-dimensional expansion of the terzaghi arching formula considering inclined sliding surfaces and examination of its effects. Int. J. Geomech. 17(7), 6016043 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)gm.1943-5622.0000844CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Terzaghi, K.: Theoretical Soil Mechanics. Wiley (1943)Google Scholar
- Zhang, R., Jiang, G.: Numerical analyses of soil arching mechanism for passive laterally loaded piles at the mesoscopic scale. Electron. J. Geotech. Eng. 20(5), 1667–1680 (2015)Google Scholar