Effect of Pre-deformation by Cyclic Loadings on Seepage Flow-Induced Failure of Volcanic Embankments
The purposes of this study are to investigate piping mechanisms of volcanic coarse grained soils and to clarify seepage performance of embankments constructed by volcanic coarse grained soils. A series of the 1 g model tests was performed on model embankments constructed by a typical volcanic soil in Hokkaido Japan. In the model tests, the effect of pre-deformation (shear strain) generated by cyclic loadings on seepage flow-induced failure was investigated in detail. Finally, stability evaluation of volcanic embankments was discussed based on the results of a series of seepage flow tests.
The authors wish to express their sincere gratitude to Messrs. S. Horiike and S. Tanno (Muroran Institute of Technology, Japan) who conducted a major part of experiments. This study was undertaken with the financial supports of KAKENHI (Grant-in-Aid for Science Research (C) No. 15K06205), Japan Society for the Promotion Science.
- Dao, M.H., Kawamura, S., Matsumura, S., Lan, Y.: Piping phenomenon of embankments constructed by volcanic soils and its evaluation. Geotechnical Special Publication, No.280, ASCE, pp. 688–698 (2016)Google Scholar
- Dao, M.H., Kawamura, S., Matsumura, S.: Internal erosion of volcanic coarse grained soils and its evaluation. Int. J. Geomate 13(38), 165–173 (2017)Google Scholar
- Japanese Geotechnical Society, Hokkaido Branch.: Volcanic soils for engineers—characteristics, design, construction and disasters. The Research Committee in Hokkaido Branch, JGS, 1–130. (in Japanese) (2011)Google Scholar
- Japanese Geotechnical Society.: Test method for soil compaction using a rammer (JGS 0711-2009). Standards of Japanese Geotechnical Society, JGS (2009). (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Japanese Geotechnical Society.: Reconnaissance report of the 2003 Tokachi-oki Earthquake. The Reconnaissance Committee of 2003 Tokachi-oki Earthquake, JGS (2004). (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Kawamura, S., Miura, S.: Stability of volcanic slopes in cold regions. J. Geogr. Geol. 6(3), 34–54 (2014)Google Scholar
- Kawamura, S., Tsuchida, Y.: Wave-induced failure of volcanic embankments subjected to cyclic loadings such as seismic loadings and its evaluation. J. Coast. Eng. JSCE 73(2/B2) (2017) (in Japanese) (in Press)Google Scholar
- Kawamura, S., Miura, S., Dao. M.H, Yamada, R.: Rainfall-induced failure of volcanic embankments subjected to cyclic loadings in cold regions. Geotechnical Special Publication, No. 257, ASCE, pp. 116–123 (2016)Google Scholar
- Kezdi, A.: Soil Physics-Selected Topics, p. 160p. Elsevier Scientific Publishing Co., Amsterdam (1979)Google Scholar
- Matsumura, S.: Laboratory and in-situ studies on mechanical properties of volcanic soil embankment in cold region. Doctoral Dissertation, Graduate school of Engineering, Hokkaido University, Japan (2014). http://eprints.lib.hokudai.ac.jp/dspace/handle/2115/55883