Hybridity as Fluid Identity in the Organization of Associations
This chapter addresses the issue of hybridity in non-profit organizations formally run as non-profit associations (NPA) and the case of Swedish Friskis & Svettis. It does so by examining and discussing how organizational legitimacy is managed under what is commonly referred to as “marketization”. In contradiction to previous research, we show how the hybrid position of the NPA in the market not only enacts a struggle upon the organization but also leads to a flexibility that is actively utilized in the management of organizational identity and legitimacy. In so doing, the chapter draws attention to two key organizational strategies that help to explain how Friskis & Svettis is able to utilize its hybridity in order to maintain legitimacy in the market: adaptation and activation, which creates a fluidness in which the organization is able to maintain and incorporate multiple organizational identities.
KeywordsMarketing, Marketization, Non-profit, Organizational identity, Legitimacy
- Dagens Nyheter. 2016. https://www.dn.se/ekonomi/svettig-momssmall-for-friskis-svettis/. Accessed 16 Apr 2018.
- Friskis&Svettis. 1984. The Story of Friskis & Svettis [Sagan om Friskis & Svettis]. http://www.liv-lust.se/pdf/Friskissagan.pdf. Accessed 16 Apr 2018.
- Friskis&Svettis.se. 2018. About Us. https://www.friskissvettis.se/Omoss. Accessed 16 Apr 2018.
- Powell, W.W., and P.J. DiMaggio. 2012. The New Institutionalism in Organizational Analysis. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Resume. 2018. https://www.resume.se/taggar/f/friskis%2D%2Dsvettis/. Accessed 16 Apr 2018.
- Scott, W.R. 2008. Institutions and Organizations: Ideas and Interests. Los Angeles: Sage.Google Scholar
- SvenskIdrott.se. 2016. Friskis&Svettis Membership Application Swedish Sports Movement. http://www.svenskidrott.se/globalassets/svenskidrottriksidrottsmotet/dokument/medlemsansokningar/friskissvettis-riks.pdf. Accessed 16 Apr 2018.
- Swedish Tax Authority. 2015. Statement Regarding Rentals. https://www4.skatteverket.se/rattsligvagledning/347301.html?date=2015-10-01. Accessed 16 Apr 2018.