Real–Time Virtual Reality Visualizer for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
The visualization of tele-operated and autonomous executions in the field becomes difficult if the real environments are located in remote areas or present potential dangers for visualizing clients. This work proposes an application based on virtual reality to recreate in real time the execution tasks of a UAV, which is operated remotely or autonomously on a real environment. To achieve a third level of immersion, the reconstruction of the real environment where the field tests are executed is considered, offering the possibility of knowing the real scenario where the tests are executed. The consideration of using commercial UAV development kits is taken into account to obtain internal information, as well as to control the drone from client devices. The results presented validate the unification of 3D models and the reconstruction of the environment, as well as the consumption of vehicle information and climate parameters.
KeywordsVirtual Reality Real time visualization 3D models Reconstructed scenario
The authors would like to thanks to the Corporación Ecuatoriana para el Desarrollo de la Investigación y Academia–CEDIA for the financing given to research, development, and innovation, through the CEPRA projects, especially the project CEPRA-XI-2017-06; Control Coordinado Multi-operador aplicado a un robot Manipulador Aéreo; also to Universidad de las Fuerzas Armadas ESPE, Universidad Técnica de Ambato, Escuela Superior Politécnica de Chimborazo, and Universidad Nacional de Chimborazo, and Grupo de Investigación en Automatización, Robótica y Sistemas Inteligentes, GIARSI, for the support to develop this paper.
- 1.Floreano, D., Wood, R.J.: Science, technology and the future of small autonomous drones. Nat. Int. J. Sci. 521(1), 460–466 (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Câmara, D.: Cavalry to the rescue: drones fleet to help rescuers operations over disasters scenarios. In: Antenna Measurements & Applications (CAMA), vol. 2015(1) (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Daftry, S., Hoppe, C., Bischof, H.: Building with drones: accurate 3D facade reconstruction using MAVs. In: Robotics and Automation (ICRA), vol. 2015, no. 1, pp. 3487–3494 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Balletti, C., Guerra, F., Scocca, V., Gottardi, C.: 3D integrated methodologies for the documentation and the virtual reconstruction of an archaeological site. Digit. Heritage 5(1), 215–222 (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Sarkar, A., Patel, K.A., Ram, R.G., Capoor, G.K.: Gesture control of drone using a motion controller. In: Industrial Informatics and Computer Systems (CIICS), vol. 2016(1), pp. 1–5 (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Andaluz, V.H., Chicaiza, F.A., Meythaler, A., Rivas, D.R., Chuchico, C.P.: Construction of a quadcopter for autonomous and teleoperated navigation. In: Design of Circuits and Integrated Systems (DCIS), vol. 2015(1), pp. 1–7 (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Andaluz, V.H., Quevedo, W.X., Chicaiza, F.A., Varela, J., Gallardo, C., Sánchez, J.S., Arteaga, O.: Transparency of a bilateral tele-operation scheme of a mobile manipulator robot. In: Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, and Computer Graphics, vol. 9768, no. 1, pp. 228–245 (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.Kendoul, F., Yu, Z., Nonami, K.: Guidance and nonlinear control system for autonomous flight of minirotorcraft unmanned aerial vehicles. J. Field Robot. 27(3), 311–334 (2010)Google Scholar