Ex Situ Conservation of Forest Genetic Resources in Romania
Forest tree breeding program started in Romania more than 55 years ago and the main objectives of the program consisted in improving wood production, wood quality, resistance to biotic and abiotic stress factors, development of biotechnological techniques for mass clonal propagation. During this period, more than 6400 plus-trees were selected within natural, and in some cases, artificial populations. By their multiplication, a total of around 643.4 ha of clonal, hybridization and seedling seed orchards (440.3 ha conifers and 203.1 ha of broadleaves) were established. Also, a number of 71 provenance trials (46 for conifers and 25 for broadleaves), 8 half-sib progenies trials (6 for conifers and 2 for broadleaves), 7 full-sib progeny trials for conifers, 18 interspecific hybrids trials (8 for conifers and 10 for broadleaves) and 3 genitor clone’s collections for conifers were established. A total of 113 ex situ conservation core units, amounting to 964.2 hectares, were established in stands with non-native species and in plantations with native species located outside their natural range.
KeywordsForest genetic resources Ex situ conservation Romanian breeding program
- Dubrovský, M., Trnka, M., Holman, I. P., Svobodová, E., & Harrison, P. A. (2015). Developing a reduced-form ensemble of climate change scenarios for Europe and its application to selected impact indicators. Climatic Change, 128, 169–186. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10584-014-1297-7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ioniță, L. (2009). Conservarea ex situ a resurselor genetice forestiere utilizând metode biotehnologice. Revista pădurilor, 95(124), 31–40.Google Scholar
- Ioniţă, L., Mirancea, I., Apostol, E. N., & Budeanu, M. (2017). Conservarea resurselor genetice de stejar brumăriu prin metode biotehnologice. Revista de silvicultură și cinegetică, 40(XXII), 16–20.Google Scholar
- Pârnuţă, G., Budeanu, M., Stuparu, E. l.., Scărlătescu, V., Chesnoiu, E. N., Tudoroiu, M., Filat, M., Nica, M. S., Teodosiu, M., Lorent, A., Daia, M., & Dinu, G. C, (2012). Catalogul Naţional al Materialelor de Bază pentru producerea Materialelor Forestiere de Reproducere. Editura Silvică, București www.icpa.ro/documente/ADER%20511_ghid.pdf. (in Romanian)
- Simota, C., Dumitru, S., Vizitiu, O., Coteţ, V., Ignat, P., Mateescu, E., Alexandru, D., & Cofas, E. (2014). Ghid de bune practici agricole pentru atenuarea efectului schimbărilor climatice asupra agriculturii. Bucureşti: ICPA, ANM, USAMV.Google Scholar