Register of Wild Cherry (Prunus avium L.) Plus Trees in Slovenia
Larger number of wild cherry candidate plus trees in the entire area of Slovenia were identified and recorded. Detailed seven-scale evaluation of their vitality, stem straightness, crown size, constriction, cylindrical trunk growth, trunk warping, branch diameter, branching angle and forking resulted in the selection of 107 trees possessing the most desirable characteristics. Selected trees are relatively large and of phenotypically superior quality. The established register of wild cherry plus trees in Slovenia represents a selection of superior individual phenotypes that will be used as a source of parental trees to establish a first-generation seed orchard and then, if appropriate, as a source of superior material for the next breeding steps and further breeding programs.
KeywordsPrunus avium Wild cherry Plus trees Seed orchard Forest tree breeding Slovenia
- Ballian, D., & Kajba, D. (2011). Oplemenjivanje šumskog drveća i očuvanje njegove genetske raznolikosti. Sarajevo: Zagreb, Šumarski fakultet: 299 str.Google Scholar
- Orlović, S., Matović, N., & Pilipović, A. (2006). Noble hardwoods in Serbia and Montenegro. In M. Bozzano, M. Rusanen, P. Rotach, & J. Koskela (Eds.), EUFORGEN noble hardwoods network: Report of the sixth (9–11 June 2002, Alter do Chão, Portugal) and seventh meetings (22–24 April 2004, Arezzo, Italy) (pp. 21–24). Rome: International Plant Genetic Resources Institute.Google Scholar
- Pâques, L. E. (2013). Forest tree breeding in Europe. Current state-of-the-art and perspectives (527 p). Dordrecht: Springer.Google Scholar
- Seznam gozdnih semenskih objektov – stanje na dan. 2017. 1. 1. 2017. Ur. l. RS št. 4/17.Google Scholar
- Tančeva-Crmarić, O., Štambuk, S., Šatović, Z., & Kajba, D. (2011). Genotipska raznolikost divlje trešnje (Prunus avium L.) u dijelu prirodne rasprostranjenosti u Hrvatskoj. Šumarski list, 135(11–12), 543–555.Google Scholar