Prominent Precision Medicine Clinical Trials in Oncology Around the World
- 1.5k Downloads
Precision medicine (PM) is a tailored treatment aimed to give the right drug to the right patient at the right dosage and at the right time. In PM, physicians and other stakeholders consider differences in genes, microbiome composition, health history, lifestyle diet, socioeconomic status, and lifestyles when devising treatment regimens for patients. The success of PM depends on (1) having accurate diagnostic tests that identify patients who can benefit from targeted therapies, (2) an enhanced understanding of the molecular pathology of disease gained from genomic studies, and (3) patient-centric clinical trials for therapeutic development. This chapter gives a broad overview of some prominent, “past and present,” precision medicine clinical trials conducted around the world using the “-omics” technologies, immunohistochemistry, predictive biomarkers, cytogenetics, fluorescence in situ hybridization, and immuno- and gene therapy.
KeywordsPrecision medicine clinical trials White House Immunotherapy IMPaCT Exceptional responders study Tisagenlecleucel Cancer Moonshot program CAR-T therapy TAPUR
- 1.The Precision Medicine Initiative. https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/precision-medicine. Last Accessed November 22, 2017.
- 4.Toward precision medicine: building a knowledge network for biomedical research and a new taxonomy of disease. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://doi.org/10.17226/13284.
- 7.American Association of Cancer Research (AACR) Cancer Progress Report. 2017.Google Scholar
- 11.Schacter B. The new medicine$. How drugs are created, approved, marketed, and sold. Westport: Praeger Publishers; 2006.Google Scholar
- 14.The Changing Face of Clinical Trials. NEJM. Retrieved from: http://www.nejm.org/page/clinical-trials-series. Last Accessed 22 Nov 2017.