Design Optimization and Results
In this chapter, a complete set of optimized designs of the OTAs proposed in this work, with post-layout simulation results and complemented with a full description of the optimization environment and conditions for each case, is provided. The optimization framework is addressed. The obtained results are compared with the state-of-the-art , demonstrating the contribution of the presented work in the field of single-stage amplifiers with throughout comparison in terms of performance metrics. The dynamic amplification is addressed in detail. Finally, two implementations in an organic technology are addressed and compared within the context of the organic technology single-stage amplifiers state of the art. An overview on the optimization framework is provided in Sect. 4.1. The VC biased OTA is addressed in Sect. 4.2. The VC biased OTA with current starving is described in Sect. 4.3. The folded VC biased OTA for lower bias voltages is addressed in Sect. 4.4. Finally, the dynamic VC biased OTA is described in Sect. 4.5. This chapter clearly demonstrates the importance and impact of electronic design automation in the future of electronic circuits and systems.
- 1.N. Lourenço, et al., “AIDA: Robust Analog Circuit-Level Sizing and In-Circuit Layout Generation,” in Integration, the VLSI Journal, 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vlsi.2016.04.009.
- 2.A. Canelas, et al., “Yield Optimization using K-Means Clustering Algorithm to Reduce Monte Carlo Simulations,” in IEEE International Conference on Synthesis, Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Methods and Applications to Circuit Design (SMACD), Page(s): 1–4, Jun. 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/SMACD.2016.7520729.
- 3.N. Lourenço, et al., “Floorplan-Aware Analog IC Sizing and Optimization based on Topological Constraints,” in Integration, the VLSI Journal, Vol. 48, Page(s): 183–197, Elsevier, Jan. 2015. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vlsi.2014.07.002.
- 4.R. Martins, et al., “LAYGEN-II Automatic Layout Generation of Analog Integrated Circuits,” in IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, Vol. 32, Issue 11, Page(s): 1641–1654, Nov. 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TCAD.2013.2269050.
- 5.B. Liu, et al., “Automated Design of Analog and High-frequency Circuits,” in Fundamentals of Optimization Techniques in Analog IC Sizing, Page(s): 19–40, Springer, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-39162-0_2.
- 6.K. Deb, et al., “A fast and elitist multiobjective genetic algorithm: NSGA-II,” in IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 6, Issue 2, Page(s): 182–197, Aug. 2002. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/4235.996017.
- 7.R. Assaad, J. Silva-Martinez, “The Recycling Folded-cascode: A General Enhancement of the Folded-Cascode Amplifier,” in IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 44, Issue 9, Page(s): 2535–2542, Sep. 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2009.2024819.
- 8.A. Zadeh, “A 100MHz, 1.2V, ±1V Peak-to-Peak Output, Double-Bus Single Ended-to-Differential Switched Capacitor Amplifier for Multi-Column CMOS Image Sensors,” in IEEE International New Circuits and Systems Conference (NEWCAS), Page(s): 1–4, Jun. 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/NEWCAS.2016.7604739.
- 9.S. Abdinia, et al., “Design of Organic Complementary Circuits and Systems on Foil,” Springer, 2015. ISBN: 978-3-319-21187-9.Google Scholar
- 10.H. Klauk, “Organic Thin-Film Transistors”, in Chemical Society Reviews, Vol. 39, Page(s): 2643–2666, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1039/B909902F.
- 11.J. Burghartz, et al., “Ultra-Thin Chips and Related Applications, a New Paradigm in Silicon Technology,” in Proceedings of the IEEE European Solid-State Circuits Conference, Page(s): 28–35, 2009. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ESSDERC.2009.5331441.
- 12.V. Vaidya, et al., “An Organic Complementary Differential Amplifier for Flexible AMOLED Applications,” in Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), Page(s): 3260–3263, 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ISCAS.2010.5537910.
- 13.M. Guerin, et al., “High-Gain Fully Printed Organic Complementary Circuits on Flexible Plastic Foils,” in IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 58, Issue 10, Page(s): 3587–3593, Aug. 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2011.2162071.
- 14.M. Torres-Miranda, et al., “High-Speed Plastic Integrated Circuits: Process, Design, Integration and Test,” in IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems, Vol. 7, Issue 1, Mar. 2016. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/JETCAS.2016.2611823.
- 15.J. Chang, et al., “Fully printed electronics on flexible substrates: High gain amplifiers and DAC,” in Organic Electronics, Vol. 15, Issue 3, Page(s): 701–710, Mar. 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orgel.2013.12.027
- 16.G. Maiellaro, et al., “High-Gain Operational Transconductance Amplifiers in a Printed Complementary Organic TFT Technology on Flexible Foil,” in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems-I, Vol. 60, Issue 2, Page(s): 3117–3125, Dec. 2013. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSI.2013.2255651.
- 17.H. Marien, et al., “Analog Techniques for Reliable Organic Circuit Design on Foil Applied to an 18 dB Single-Stage Differential Amplifier,” Organic Electronics, Vol. 11, Issue 8, Page(s): 1357–1362, Aug. 2010. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orgel.2010.05.006.
- 18.Wei Zhang, “OPDK User Manual,” Release 2014.3, University of Minnesota, Mar. 2014.Google Scholar
- 19.Fujifilm Dimatix, “Materials Printer & Cartridge DMP-2800 Series Printer & DMC-11600 Series Cartridge FAQ report,” Apr. 2016.Google Scholar
- 20.P. Bholowalia, et al., “EBK-Means: A Clustering Technique based on Elbow Method and K-Means in WSN,” in International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 105, Issue 9, Page(s): 17–24, Nov. 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5120/18405-9674.
- 21.H. Fuketa, et al., “1 μm-Thickness ultra-flexible and high electrode-density surface electromyogram measurement sheet with 2 V organic transistors for prosthetic hand control,” in IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Circuits and Systems, Vol. 8, Issue 6, Page(s): 824–833, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TBCAS.2014.2314135
- 22.I. Nausieda, et al., “Mixed-signal organic integrated circuits in a fully photolithographic dual threshold voltage technology,” in IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 58, Issue 3, Page(s): 865–873, Mar. 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/TED.2011.2105489.
- 23.H. Marien, et al., “A fully integrated sigma-delta ADC in organic thin-film transistor technology on flexible plastic foil,” in IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 46, Issue 1, Page(s): 276–284, Jan. 2011. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2010.2073230.
- 24.H. Marien, et al., “Analog building blocks for organic smart sensor systems in organic thin-film transistor technology on flexible plastic foil,” in IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 47, Issue 7, Page(s): 1712–1720, Jul. 2012. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/JSSC.2012.2191038.