Pressure-Shear Plate Impact Experiments on Soda-Lime Glass at Pressures Beyond 20 GPa
Recent modifications of a powder gun facility at Caltech have enabled pressure-shear plate impact (PSPI) experiments in a regime of pressures and strain rates that were previously inaccessible. A novel heterodyne diffracted beam photonic Doppler velocimeter (DPDV) has also been developed for simultaneous measurement of the normal and transverse particle velocity histories using the ±first order diffracted beams produced by a 400 lines/mm diffraction grating deposited onto the polished rear surface of the impacted target plate. We present and interpret the results of PSPI experiments conducted on 5 μm thick soda-lime glass samples subjected to normal stresses beyond 20 GPa and shear strain rates approaching 108 s−1. Transverse particle velocity measurements are used to infer the shearing resistance of soda-lime glass under these extreme conditions.
KeywordsPressure-shear plate impact experiments Soda-lime glass Dynamic behavior of materials Heterodyne transverse velocimetry Phase transformations
The authors are grateful for support from the Office of Naval Research (Award No. N00014-16-1-2839) for the development of the PSPI capability at high pressures and the Air Force Office of Scientific Research (Award No. FA9550-12-1-0091) for development of the PDV-DPDV interferometer system.
- 1.Grunschel, S.E.: Pressure-shear plate impact experiments on high-purity aluminum at temperatures approaching melt, Ph.D. thesis, Brown University (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Gleason, A.E., Bolme, C.A., Lee, H., Nagler, B., Galtier, E., Milathianaki, D., Hawreliak, J., Kraus, R.G., Eggert, J., Fratanduono, D., Collins, G.W., Sandberg, R., Yang, W., Mao, W.L.: Ultrafast visualization of crystallization and grain growth in shock-compressed SiO2. Nat. Commun. 6, 8191 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Mello, M., Kettenbeil, C., Bischann, M., Ravichandran, G.: In: Chau, R., Germann, T., Lane, M. (eds.) Shock Compression of Condensed Matter – 2017. American Institute of Physics, Melville (2018)Google Scholar
- 8.Clifton, R.J., Jiao, T.: Pressure and strain-rate sensitivity of an elastomer: (1) pressure-shear plate impact experiments; (2) constitutive modeling, in elastomeric polymers with high rate sensitivity. In: Barsoum, R.G. (ed.) Elastomeric Polymers with High Rate Sensitivity, pp. 17–64. Oxford, Elsevier (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Jiao, T., Kettenbeil, C., Ravichandran, G., Clifton, R.J.: In: Chau, R., Germann, T., Lane, M. (eds.) Shock Compression of Condensed Matter – 2017. American Institute of Physics, Melville (2018)Google Scholar