The Evolving Approach to Strategic Corporate Foresight at Swiss Bank PostFinance in the Age of Digital Transformation
At Swiss bank PostFinance (PF), foresight has been a key driver for strategic discussions and innovation in banking for decades. Today’s approach to foresight, as strategy development, has evolved over the past two decades, with the initial introduction of early warning management in 1998, a new strategy process in 2000, a contemporary foresight framework in 2005/2006 and a future-oriented, foresight embedded digital transformation strategy in 2016/2017. All efforts were or are designed to support PF’s ambition to become a digital powerhouse. PF’s foresight framework today includes all major components from environmental scanning, scenario-building, and action setting based on open conversations from scenario workshops. The key outcomes from corporate foresight are successful strategies via an established foresight framework through socially constructed planning practices, especially the network of future agents/trend scouts, and the foresight continuum which fosters debates and supports flexible decision-making.
KeywordsCorporate foresight Future-oriented leadership Banking case study Management
- FSO Federal Statistical Office. (2017). Population Data May 2017. Retrieved from: https://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/en/home/statistics/population.html.
- Fuller, T. (2005). Inventing futures: The interpretation of “weak signals” into futures that matter (Project report). Lincoln.Google Scholar
- Kneissler, T. (2006). Future screening and innovation at postfinance. European Futurists Conference, 22 November, Lucerne.Google Scholar
- Peter, M. K. (2011). Future screening: A framework for advancing strategic corporate foresight (Doctoral dissertation). Charles Sturt University, Sydney, Australia.Google Scholar
- PostFinance. (2017a). Annual Report 2016. Retrieved from: https://www.postfinance.ch/content/dam/pfch/doc/ueber_uns/report2016_info_en.pdf.
- PostFinance. (2017b). PostFinance’s history. Retrieved from: https://www.postfinance.ch/en/about-us/company/history.html.