Foresight, Organization Policies and Management Strategies in Electric Vehicle Technology Advances at Tesla
The purpose of this case study is to describe Tesla’s management strategies, organizational policies, and foresight approaches used to plan and implement a pragmatic strategy for the future mass production of electric vehicles (EVs) at affordable prices. The challenges posed by increasing global instability in the automotive business, changing technology, and alarming increase of carbon dioxide emissions, all heightened the immediate need for change from traditional treatment of automotive practices to something innovative, yet executable. The Tesla organization has developed an ambitious plan and strategy in response to these challenges through long-range battery technology that will enable them to complete production of high volume and low-cost electric cars with no fumes, noise, or dirt to millions.
- Andersen, P. D., & Rasmussen, B. (2014, November 6). Introduction to foresight and foresight processes in practice: Note for the PhD course Strategic Foresight in Engineering. Department of Management Engineering, Technical University of Denmark. Available from: http://www.orbit.dtu.dk/files/96941116/Introduction_to_foresight.pdf.
- Andrews, R., & Johansen, M. (2013, November 5). Organizational environments and performance: A linear or nonlinear relationship? Public Organization Review, 12(2), 175–189. American.Google Scholar
- Automotive Policy Council. (2014, November 14). State of U.S. automotive industry. Available from: http://www.americanautocouncil.org/sites/default/files/State_Of_The_US_Automotive_Industry_2014.pdf.
- Baer, D. (2014, November 6). The making of Tesla: Invention, betrayal, and the birth of the roadster. Retrieved from: http://uk.businessinsider.com/tesla-the-origin-story-2014-10.
- Chen, Y., & Perez, Y. (2015, November 5). Business model design: Lessons learned from Tesla Motors. Research gate. Retrieved from: http://www.cepn-paris13.fr/epog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Chen-and-Perez-2015.pdf.
- CNBC. (2017, December 26). With one simple tweet, Elon Musk shows a masterful lesson in leadership. Retrieved from: https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk/with-1-christmas-tweet-elon-musk-just-gave-a-masterful-lesson-in-leadership-and-customer-relations.html.
- Collis, D. J., & Rukstad, M. G. (2008). Can you say what your strategy is? Harvard Business Review, 86(4), 82–90.Google Scholar
- CSR Hub. (2016, November 5). Tesla Motors CSR ratings. Retrieved from: https://www.csrhub.com/CSR_and_sustainability_information/Tesla-Motors-Inc/.
- Dess, G. G., & Davis, P. S. (1984). Porter’s. (1980). Generic strategies as determinants of strategic group membership and organizational performance. Academy of Management Journal, 27(3), 467–488.Google Scholar
- Dyer, J., & Bryce, D. (2015, November 5). Tesla’s high end disruption gamble. Forbes. Retrieved from: http://www.forbes.com/sites/innovatorsdna/2015/08/20/teslas-high-end-disruptiongamble/#6a77d9bc4e2f.
- Ebersberger, B., Bloch, C., Herstad, S. J., & Van de Velde, E. (2010). Open innovation practices and their effect on innovation performance. International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, 9, 1–22.Google Scholar
- Electrek. (2016, November 6). Tesla has now over 30,000 employees (25 K in US) after SolarCity/other acquisitions. Retrieved from https://electrek.co/2016/11/25/tesla-30000-employees-solarcity/.
- Francis, D., & Bessant, J. (2005). Targeting innovation and implications for capability innovation practices and their effect on innovation performance. International Journal of Innovation and Technology Management, 25, 171–183.Google Scholar
- Gao, P., Kaas, H. W., Mohr, D., & Wee, D. (2016, November 5). Disruptive trends that will transform the auto industry. McKinsey. Retrieved from: https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/automotive-and-assembly/our-insights/disruptive-trends-that-will-transform-the-auto-industry.
- Halla, B. (2015, November, 5). Piecing together the Tesla strategic puzzle. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from: https://hbr.org/2015/09/piecing-together-the-tesla-strategy-puzzle.
- Holmberg, S. R. (2011). Emerging green technology entrepreneurs: Entrepreneurial pathways in the hybrid and plug-in hybrud/electric vehicle space. ICSB World Conference Paper, Stockholm.Google Scholar
- Lecocq, C., & Looy, B. V. (2009). The impact of collaboration on the technological development. Technovation, 25(3), 171–183.Google Scholar
- Lehtinen, P. (2015, November 6). The advancement of electric vehicles-case: Tesla Motors. Dissertation submitted at University of Tampere: Department of Management Studies. Retrieved from: http://tampub.uta.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/97521/GRADU-1435294550.pdf;sequence=1.
- Meyer, P. (2018, March 12). Tesla Inc.’s organizational culture and its characteristics (analysis). Business Management. Retrieved from: http://panmore.com/tesla-motors-inc-organizational-culture-characteristics-analysis.
- Miller, R., & Olleros, X. (2007). The dynamics of games of innovation. International performance of regions: Time invariant or driven by life cycle dynamics? An explorative investigation of European Regions in the field of biotechnology. Scientometrics, 80(3), 845–865.Google Scholar
- Sharma, S. (2016). The Tesla phenomena—A business strategy report.Google Scholar
- Statista. (2018, November 05). Size of the global market for electric vehicles in 2012 and 2019 (in billion U.S. dollars). Retrieved from: https://www.statista.com/statistics/271537/worldwide-revenue-from-electric-vehiclessince-2010/.
- Tesla. (2016, November 05). Annual report on orm 10-K for the year ended December 31 2016. Retrieved from: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000156459017003118/tsla-10k_20161231.htm.
- Tesla. (2017, December 13). Tesla’s Giga factory. Retrieved from: https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/gigafactory.
- Tesla. (2018, March 12). Management. Retrieved from: http://ir.tesla.com/management.cfm.
- Tesla Motors. (2011, November 06). Panasonic enters into supply agreement with Tesla Motors to supply automotive-grade battery cells. Retrieved from: https://news.panasonic.com/global/press/data/en111011-3/en111011-3.html.
- Thompson, C. (2016, December 9). Tesla has big, big plans for the next 4 years. Retrieved from: http://www.businessinsider.com/everything-tesla-promises-to-accomplish-by-2020-2016-7.