Quality and Curation of Medical Images and Data
With the increased collection of medical data in digital format the use and reuse of this data is also increasing. This introduces new challenges in the selection, de-identification, storage and handling of the imaging data. When building large data collections for use in training and validation of machine learning, merely collecting a lot of data is not enough. It is essential that the quality of the data is be sufficient for the intended application in order to obtain valid results. This chapter will discuss the issue of data quality by looking at the process of curation of medical images and other related data and the different aspects that are involved in this when moving forward in the era of AI.
KeywordsData curation Medical imaging data De-identification Data quality Data discovery Data reuse
- 2.Mayer-Schonberger V, Ingelsson E. Big data and medicine: a big deal? J Intern Med. 2017.Google Scholar
- 3.Ridley EL. How to develop deep-learning algorithms for radiology. AuntMinnie.com. 2017. https://www.auntminnie.com/index.aspx?sec=sup&\break sub=aic&pag=dis&ItemID=118078. Accessed 6 June 2018.
- 4.Redman TC. If your data is bad, your machine learning tools are useless. Harv Bus Rev. 2018. https://\break hbr.org/2018/04/if-your-data-is-bad-your-machine-le\break arning-tools-are-useless. Accessed 6 June 2018.
- 5.U of Illinois. 2018. https://www.clir.org/initiatives-partnerships/data-curation/. Accessed 9 May 2018.
- 6.Freitas A, Curry E. Big data curation. In: Cavanillas JM, et al., editors. New horizons for a data-driven economy. Cham: Springer International Publishing; 2016.Google Scholar
- 11.Tang A, Tam R, Cadrin-Chenevert A, Guest W, Chong J, Barfett J, Chepelev L, Cairns R, Michell R, Cicero MD, Gaudreau Poudrette M, Jaremko JL, Reinhold C, Gallix B, Gray B, Geis R. Canadian Association of Radiologists white paper on artificial intelligence in radiology. Can Assoc Radiol J. 2018;69:120–35.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Lupton D. Who owns your personal health and medical data? This Sociological Life BLOG. 2015.Google Scholar
- 19.Sweeney L. Only you, your doctor, and many others may know. Technology Science. 2015. http://\break techscience.org/a/2015092903. Accessed 6 June 2018.
- 20.Lawrence ND. Data readiness levels. 2017. arXiv:1705.02245v1 [cs.DB].Google Scholar
- 22.Harvey H. Is medical imaging data ready for Artificial Intelligence? AuntMinnieEurope. 2017. https://www.auntminnieeurope.com/index.aspx?sec\break =sup&sub=pac&pag=dis&ItemID=615032. Accessed 6 June 2018.
- 23.EMC. The digital universe of opportunities: rich data and the increasing value of the internet of things. Executive summary data growth, business opportunities, and the IT imperatives. EMC. 2014. https://www.emc.com/leadership/digital-universe/2014iview/executive-summary.htm. Accessed 9 June 2018.