Patterns and Impacts of Racial and International Student Disparities in Experiences of Campus Climate, Academic Support, and Financial Conditions
In this chapter, the authors document the extent of disparities across racial groups and for international and immigrant students in campus climate for diversity, academic support, and financial conditions; examine the association between these campus experiences and academic outcomes; and explore whether the impacts of these campus experiences are stronger for historically underrepresented racial groups, immigrant, and/or international students. The authors discover that while international students have much lower rates of financial strain, the negative impact of financial strain is stronger for international students. The authors also find that immigrant students report higher levels of financial strain, however worrying about personal and family debt is unexpectedly associated with accumulating more credits and a higher likelihood of graduation.
- Baccam, J. (2015, October 26). Cultural incompetency: Racist Yik Yak posts target Asian students on UI campus. Little Village Magazine. Retrieved from https://international.uiowa.edu/news/cultural-incompetency-racist-yik-yak-posts-target-asian-students-ui-campus.
- Charis-Carlson, J. (2016, May 10). University of Iowa removes racist drawings from dorm. Iowa City Press Citizen. Retrieved from http://www.press-citizen.com/story/news/education/university-of-iowa/2016/05/10/university-iowa-removes-racial-drawings-dorm/84183868/.
- Chatman, S. (2009). Factor structure and reliability of the 2008 and 2009 SERU/UCUES questionnaire core (Student experiences in the research university project, center for studies in higher education). Berkeley, CA: University of California. Retrieved from https://cshe.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/Chatman.TechReport.10.29.09.pdf.
- Gould, E. (2017, July 19). Young workers face a tougher labor market even as the economy inches towards full employment. Retrieved from http://www.epi.org/blog/young-workers-face-a-tougher-labor-market-even-as-the-economy-inches-towards-full-employment.
- Gruber-Miller, S. (2017, August 22). Racist graffiti found in residence halls, University of Iowa officials say. Iowa City Press Citizen. Retrieved from http://www.press-citizen.com/story/news/education/university-of-iowa/2017/08/22/racist-graffiti-found-residence-halls-university-iowa-officials-say/591551001.
- Hardy, K., & Charis-Carlson, J. (2016, February 27). Iowa’s Black college students: We don’t feel welcome. Des Moines Register. Retrieved from https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/education/2016/02/27/iowas-black-college-students-we-dont-feel-welcome/80301034/.
- Miller, V. (2016, November 6). University of Iowa investigating racist vandalism. The Gazette. Retrieved from http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/education/higher-education/university-of-iowa-investigating-racist-vandalism-20161109.
- Museus, S. D., Yi, V., & Saelua, N. (2017). How culturally engaging campus environments influence sense of belonging in college: An examination of differences between White students and students of color. Journal of Diversity in Higher Education. https://doi.org/10.1037/dhe0000069.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ryan, M. (2016, May 29). By the numbers: Black student achievement in high school, college. Des Moines Register. Retrieved from https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/education/2016/05/29/iowa-numbers-black-student-achievement-high-school-college/83599334/.
- Soria, K., & Stebleton, M. (2013). Immigrant college students’ academic obstacles. The Learning Assistance Review. Retrieved from http://conservancy.umn.edu/handle/11299/150033.
- Stebleton, M. J., Soria, K. M., Aleixo, M. B., & Huesman, R. L. (2012). Student-faculty and peer interactions among immigrant college students in the United States. Multicultural Learning and Teaching, 7(2). https://doi.org/10.1515/2161-2412.1122.
- U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. (2016). The Condition of Education. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved from https://nces.ed.gov/pubs2016/2016144.pdf.