Can Robots and Humans Make Babies Together?
This chapter gives a guided tour of the advances achieved by researchers in cell biology and biorobotics, which prompted the question whether it is possible for humans and robots to make babies together. Until the birth of the first test tube baby, it was believed that a human baby could only be conceived by the means of sexual intercourse between a man and a woman. A series of breakthroughs in stem cell research, such as the frog experiments done by John Gurdon, the ability to reprogram cells, the creation of embryos from skin cells, as well as the TNT technology, has provens once and again that life can be created by the genetic engineering of human cells. This chapter also looks into the genetic robot, created from a set of computerized DNA codes that determine its personality. It is possible for such genetic codes from a robot to be combined with human cells to create a baby that has genetic information from both a human and a robot. The talk concludes by discussing the ethical implications related to the genetic engineering of human embryos.
- 1.Cyranoski D (2016) Researchers claim to have made artificial mouse sperm in a dish. https://www.nature.com/news/researchers-claim-to-have-made-artificial-mouse-sperm-in-a-dish-1.19453, Nature
- 4.Kim JH, Lee KH, Kim YD, Lee BJ, Yoo JK, Choi S (2005) The origin of artificial species: humanoid robot hansaram. In: Proceedings 2nd international conference on HNICEMGoogle Scholar
- 5.Kim JH, Lee CH, Lee KH (2009) Evolutionary generative process for an artificial creature’s personality. IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern Part C (Appl Rev) 39(3):331–342Google Scholar
- 6.Lee KH, Kim KC, Kim JH, Choi SH (2009) Method for designing genetic code for software robot. US Patent App. 12/173,905Google Scholar
- 8.Medrano JV, Martínez-Arroyo AM, Míguez JM, Moreno I, Martínez S, Quiñonero A, Díaz-Gimeno P, Marqués-Marí AI, Pellicer A, Remohí J (2016) Human somatic cells subjected to genetic induction with six germ line-related factors display meiotic germ cell-like features. Sci Rep 6(24):956Google Scholar
- 9.Nield D (2016) Scientists have just made sperm out of human skin cells. https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-create-human-sperm-from-skin-cells, Science Alert
- 10.Nobel Prize Organisation (2012) Press release 2012-10-08. https://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/2012/press.html
- 11.Sivapatham R (2015) Ethical implications of human genetic engineering. http://sage.buckinstitute.org/ethical-implications-of-human-genetic-engineering-2
- 13.University of Bath (2016) Scientists make mice from non-egg cells. http://www.bath.ac.uk/news/2016/09/13/fertilising-embryos, Posted September 13th 2016
- 14.Wexner Medical Center (2017) L. James Lee and Wexner Medical Center develop breakthrough ‘one-touch healing’ nanochip. https://cbe.osu.edu/news/2017/08/l.-james-lee-and-wexner-medical-center-develop-breakthrough-one-touch-healing-nanochip, Posted August 7th 2017