A Robotic System for Autonomous Grasping and Manipulation
A robotic system that consists of only a gripper can be utilized for certain applications such as supporting disabled people. However, with a robot manipulator introduced into the system, it can achieve far more tasks such as automation of manufacturing and logistics processes. The autonomous track of the IROS2016 Robotic Grasping and Manipulation Competition was designed to bring a robotic system into ordinary everyday tasks involving grasping and manipulation. The main objective of this paper is the evaluation of the autonomous robotic system by comparing the performance against manual human-interacted system in terms of intelligence and robustness.
We used UR5, Dora-Hand2 and Realsense SR300 to build an autonomous system for grasping and manipulation. The system has been evaluated by performing ten manipulation tasks and a pick-and-place task. The overall performance was below the manual system. However, for the tasks that involved repetitive motion, the automated system out-performed the manual system.
KeywordsManipulation Pick and Place Grasp planning
- 1.Beeson, P., Ames, B.: TRAC-IK: an open-source library for improved solving of generic inverse kinematics. In: Proceedings of the IEEE RAS Humanoids Conference, Seoul, Korea, November 2015Google Scholar
- 4.Sucan, I.A., Chitta, S.: Moveit! http://moveit.ros.org/
- 5.Pan, J., Chitta, S., Manocha, D.: FCL: a general purpose library for collision and proximity queries. IEEE, May 2012Google Scholar
- 7.LaValle, S.M., Kuffner, J.J.: Rapidly-exploring random trees: a new tool for path planning. In: Proceedings IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, pp. 473–479 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Quigley, M., Conley, K., Gerkey, B.P., Faust, J., Foote, T., Leibs, J., Wheeler, R., Ng, A.Y.: ROS: an open-source robot operating system. In: ICRA Workshop on Open Source Software (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Salzman, O., Halperin, D.: Asymptotically near-optimal RRT for fast, high-quality, motion planning. CoRR, abs/1308.0189 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Smits, R.: KDL: Kinematics and Dynamics Library. http://www.orocos.org/kdl