Perspectives from Health-Care Providers Local to Global: Words of Wisdom—Personal Reflections on Caring for Late Preterm Infants
Late preterm infants and their families require recognition that their needs are different from the very preterm or term infant and family. Globally care for this population varies widely. This chapter brings together personal perspectives that present LPIs within a country context and health-care professionals’ personal stories of providing care to this vulnerable population. Narratives from Brazil, Japan, Malawi, Russia, and South Africa weave the collective story.
- 1.March of Dimes (MOD). Born too soon and too small in Hawaii. 2015. Available from: https://www.marchofdimes.org/peristats/pdflib/195/15.pdf.
- 2.Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC). QuickStats: Percentage of Infants Born Late Preterm, * by Mother’s State of Residence-National Vital Statistics System, United States, 2012(2014). Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6320a6.htm.
- 3.March of Dimes (MOD). Born too soon: the global action report on preterm birth. 2015. Available from: https://www.marchofdimes.org/mission/global-preterm.aspx.
- 4.Brown HK, Speechley KN, Macnab J, Natale R, Campbell MK. Neonatal morbidity associated with late preterm and early term birth: the roles of gestational age and biological determinants of preterm birth. Int J Epidemiol. 2014;43(3):802–14. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyt251.Epub. PubMed PMID: 24374829; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4052131.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 5.World Bank. Report on Malawi. Washington, DC: The World Bank Group; 2013.Google Scholar
- 6.World Health Organization (WHO). The WHO African Health observatory. (2015). Available from: http://www.aho.afro.who.int/profiles_information/index.php/Malawi:Analytical_summary_-_Service_delivery.
- 7.World Health Organization (WHO). WHO recommendations on interventions to improve preterm birth outcomes. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2015.Google Scholar
- 8.Chan GJ, Valsangkar B, Kajeepeta S, Boundy EO, Wall S. What is kangaroo mother care? Systematic review of the literature. J Glob Health. 2016;6(1):010701. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27231546.
- 9.World Health Organization (WHO). World health statistics – 2014. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2014. Available from: https://knoema.com/UNWHODATA2014/un-world-health-statistics-2014?location=1001930-zambia&variable=1002040-preterm-birth-rate-per-100-live-births.
- 10.UNICEF. Maternal and Newborn Health Disparities Zambia. New York: UNICEF; 2015.Google Scholar
- 11.Macado AKF, Marmitt LP, Cesar JA. Late preterm birth in the far south of Brazil: a population based study. Rev Bras Saude Matern Infant. 2016;16(2). Available from: http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1519-38292016000200113.
- 12.Save the Children. Time to focus on 84 000 preterm births in South Africa. Sango Pulse Net. 2012. Available from: http://www.ngopulse.org/press-release/time-focus-84-000-preterm-births-south-africa.