An Inclusive and Accessible LaTeX Editor
In this paper, we discuss the reasons which led us to propose LaTeX as mathematical notation to visually impaired students and why there is need for an accessible LaTeX editor. We performed an accessibility test for a selection of three LaTeX editors, to investigate their capabilities to satisfy the needs of these users. The evaluation of the results showed that it was necessary to develop an own editor. The first prototype was preliminarily tested, proving that, paying attention to the GUI library and the development environment, it is possible to develop a GUI with a high level of compatibility with assistive technologies like screen readers and magnifiers. The editor achieved a satisfying ranking in the user-tests which encourages further development of the software.
KeywordsAccessibility to mathematics LaTeX Accessible editor
We thank Sebastian Peter for being our voluntary partially sighted user for alpha tests and for his useful feedback.
- 1.Alistair, E., McCartney, H., Fogarolo, F.: Lambda: a multimodal approach to making mathematics accessible to blind students. In: 8th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility, pp. 48–54 (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Archambault, D., Stöger, B., Fitzpatrick, D., Miesenberger, K.: Access to scientific content by visually impaired people. Upgrade 8(2), 14 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Borsero, M., Murru N., Ruighi, A.: LaTeX as solution to the problem of access to texts with formulas by visually impaired people. In: GuIT Meeting, ArsTeXnica, no. 22, pp. 12–18 (2016). http://www.integr-abile.unito.it/articoli/latex-acc.pdf
- 6.Maneki, A., Jeans, A.: LaTeX: what is it and why do we need it? In: Future Reflections - A Magazine for Parents and Teachers of Blind Children, vol. 31, no. 2 (2012). https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr31/2/fr310212.htm
- 7.Bexten, E.M., Jung, M.: LATEX at the university of applied sciences Giessen-Friedberg — experiences at the institute for visually impaired students. In: Miesenberger, K., Klaus, J., Zagler, W. (eds.) ICCHP 2002. LNCS, vol. 2398, pp. 508–509. Springer, Heidelberg (2002). https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-45491-8_95CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Pepino, A., Freda, C., Ferraro, F., Pagliara, S., Zanfardino, F.: “BlindMath” a new scientific editor for blind students. In: Miesenberger, K., Klaus, J., Zagler, W.L., Karshmer, A.I. (eds.) ICCHP 2006. LNCS, vol. 4061, pp. 1171–1174. Springer, Heidelberg (2006). https://doi.org/10.1007/11788713_169CrossRefGoogle Scholar