DIGA OLÁ: An Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) Mobile Application for People with Language and Speech Impairments
In this paper an augmentative and alternative communication mobile application for people with language and speech impairments, called Diga Olá, is presented. With this mobile application, we aimed to assist people with speech and language impairment in their communication process, by presenting an alternative mobile solution in Portuguese language. The main results achieved on a preliminary user assessment were: first-rate performance, higher satisfaction and total autonomy in their interaction with the solution presented.
KeywordsAugmentative and alternative communication (AAC) Mobile application Android Accessibility assessment User tests Speech impairment
This work was supported by Project “NIE – Natural Interfaces for the Elderly/ NORTE-01-0145-FEDER-024048” financed by the Foundation for the Science and Technology (FCT) and through the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
- 1.Hauser, M.D.: The Evolution of Communication. Bradford BOOK/The MIT Press, Cambridge/London (2000). 4th print. https://books.google.pt/books?id=QbunyscCJBoC&printsec=frontcover&dq=The+evolution+of+communication&hl=pt-PT&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSzsPTh4XaAhWDuhQKHcvkC68Q6AEIJzAA#v=onepage&q=The%20evolution%20of%20communication&f=false
- 2.Bergin, S.: Communication disorders: breaking through the barriers. Ensign, pp. 46–50, February 1991Google Scholar
- 3.Importance of Technology, How did technology changed our life – and what is the future? http://eimportanceoftechnology.com/
- 4.British Educational Communications and Technology Agency - BECTA.: The impact of ICT in Schools: Landscape Review, Coventry (2007). http://dera.ioe.ac.uk/1627/
- 5.Ribeiro, J., Almeida, A.M., Moreira, A.: A utilização das TIC na Educação de Alunos com Necessidades Educativas Especiais: resultados da aplicação piloto do inquérito nacional a Coordenadores TIC/PTE. Indag. Didact. 2(1), 94–124 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.America Speech-Language-Hearing Association. http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/AAC/
- 7.Communication Matters/ISAAC (UK). Foccus on…What is AAC? Introduction to Augmentative and Alternative Communication 3rd edition (2015). https://www.communicationmatters.org.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/focuson/What%20is%20AAC.pdf
- 9.PlaPhoons, Tecno Accessible. www.tecnoaccesible.net/content/plaphoons
- 10.Avaz Australia, Avaz. http://www.avazapp.com/
- 12.Bia Project. http://cm-castrodaire.pt/bia/index.php/software