A Cloud Robotics Platform to Enable Remote Communication for Deafblind People
Cloud Robotics is the application of Cloud Computing and Internet of Things (IoT) technologies to the realm of robotics. This paradigm is gaining momentum in worldwide research as it allows to build robotic infrastructures leveraging on both IoT and the Cloud. These technologies are every day more pervasive in our lives and enhance service robotics (i.e., robotics applications meant to serve humans). We are developing a novel Cloud Robotics architecture empowered by hand tracking technology and 3D-printed bio-inspired robotic arms to enable remote on-line communication for deafblind people in tactile sign language, the communication system most natural to them.
KeywordsCloud robotics Service robotics Tactile sign languages Remote communication
- 1.McCaul, T.: Video-based telecommunications technology and the deaf community. Australian Communication Exchange Report (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Russo, L.O., Farulla, G.A., Pianu, D., Salgarella, A.R., Controzzi, M., Cipriani, C., Oddo, C.M., Geraci, C., Rosa, S., Indaco, M.: PARLOMA - a novel human-robot interaction system for deafblind remote communication. Int. J. Adv. Robot. Syst. 12(57), 1–13 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Quigley, M., Conley, K., Gerkey, B., Faust, J., Foote, T., Leibs, J., Wheeler, R., Ng, A.Y.: ROS: an open-source robot operating system. In: ICRA Workshop on Open Source Software, Kobe, Japan, vol. 3, p. 5 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Russo, L.O.: Leveraging the Cloud to develop Service Robotics Applications. Ph.D. thesis, Politecnico di Torino (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Wood, T., Shenoy, P.J., Gerber, A., van der Merwe, J.E., Ramakrishnan, K.K.: The case for enterprise-ready virtual private clouds. In: HotCloud (2009)Google Scholar