Development of a Graphic and Braille Optimized Plotter for the Blind and Visually Impaired
With the development of this plotter, a cost-effective and easy assembly was created to allow a better accessibility to well-recognizable braille text and tactile graphics on standard DIN-A4 paper for blind and visually impaired users. In comparison to currently employed systems, the developed device consists of a commercially available X/Y-plotter, which enables a movement in two orthogonal directions at once. Thus, not only the embossing of single dots, but also of continuous lines on a flat surface is possible. The plotter was extended by a solenoid that can change the force on a convertible embossing pen in Z-direction. Further parts were constructed and added to enable material feeding, material removal and paper fixation while printing. In a survey with six blind and visually impaired people, the results of the plotter were tested for good readability and recognition and compared to a conventional needle-based-system. Most of the participants would use the results produced by the plotter at hand in their daily life.
KeywordsGraphic and braille optimized printer Tactile print on paper Continuous lines
- 1.Pal, J., Pradhan, M., Shah, M., Babu, R.: Assistive technology for vision-impairments: an agenda for the ICTD community. In: Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on World Wide Web, New York (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Nolan, C., Morris, J.: Improvement of Tactual Symbols for Blind Children: Final Report. American Printing House for the Blind, Louisville (1971)Google Scholar
- 4.Kouroupetroglou, G., Martos, A., Papandreou, N., Papadopoulos, K., Argyropoulous, V., Sideridis, G.D.: Tactile identification of embossed raised lines and raised squares with variable dot elevation by persons who are blind. In: Miesenberger, K., Bühler, C., Penaz, P. (eds.) ICCHP 2016. LNCS, vol. 9759, pp. 77–84. Springer, Cham (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-41267-2_11CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Makeblock: XY Plotter Robot Kit (2018). http://learn.makeblock.com/en/xy-plotter-robot-kit/
- 6.mDraw Software by Makeblock (2018). http://learn.makeblock.com/en/mdraw/