Automatic Generation of Statistical Shape Models in Motion
Statistical body shape modeling (SBSM) is a well-known technique to map out the variability of body shapes and is commonly used in 3D anthropometric analyses. In this paper, a new approach to integrate movement acquired by a motion capture system with a body shape is proposed. This was done by selecting landmarks on a body shape model, and predicting a body shape based on features. Then, a virtual skeleton was generated relative to those landmarks. This skeleton was parented to a body shape, allowing to modify its pose and to add pre-recorded motion to different body shapes in a realistic way.
KeywordsStatistical body shape model Motion capturing Shape prediction
This work was supported by the Agency for Innovation by Science and Technology in Flanders (IWT-SB 141520).
- 1.Danckaers, F., Huysmans, T., Lacko, D., Sijbers, J.: Evaluation of 3D body shape predictions based on features. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on 3D Body Scanning Technologies, Lugano, Switzerland, 27–28 October 2015, pp. 258–265. Hometrica Consulting - Dr. Nicola D’Apuzzo, Ascona, Switzerland (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Haney, J.M., Wang, T., D’Souza, C., Jones, M.L.H., Reed, M.P.: Spatial and temporal patterns in sequential precision reach movements. Proc. Hum. Factors Ergon. Soc. Annu. Meet. 61, 929–930 (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.Danckaers, F., Huysmans, T., Hallemans, A., De Bruyne, G., Truijen, S., Sijbers, J.: Full body statistical shape modeling with posture normalization. In: Cassenti, D.N. (ed.) AHFE 2017. AISC, vol. 591, pp. 437–448. Springer, Cham (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-60591-3_39CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.3D Scan Store: Male and Female Base Mesh Bundle. http://www.3dscanstore.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=679
- 6.Dai, H., Cai, B., Song, J., Zhang, D.: Skeletal animation based on BVH motion data. In: 2010 2nd International Conference on Information Engineering and Computer Science, pp. 1–4. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Blender Online Community: Blender - a 3D modelling and rendering package (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Robinette, K.M., Daanen, H.A.M., Paquet, E.: The CAESAR project: a 3-D surface anthropometry survey. In: Second International Conference on 3-D Digital Imaging and Modeling (Cat. No. PR00062), pp. 380–386. IEEE Computer Society (1999)Google Scholar