Enhancing Confusion Entropy as Measure for Evaluating Classifiers
Performance measures are used in Machine Learning to assess the behaviour of classifiers. Many measures have been defined on the literature. In this work we focus on Confusion Entropy (CEN), a measure based in Shannon’s Entropy. We introduce a modification of this measure that overcomes its disadvantages in the binary case that disables it as a suitable measure to compare classifiers. We compare this modification with CEN and other measures, presenting analytical results in some particularly interesting cases, as well as some heuristic computational experimentation.
KeywordsClassifier Performance measure Confusion Entropy (CEN)
This work have been supported by Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad, Gobierno de España, project ref. MTM2015 67802-P.
- 2.Jin, H., Wang, X.-N., Gao, F., Li, J., Wei, J.-M.: Learning Decision Trees using Confusion Entropy. Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, Tianjin, 14–17 July (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Lichman, M.: UCI Machine Learning Repository. University of California, Irvine, School of Information and Computer Sciences (2013). https://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml/index.php
- 5.Marques de S., J.-P., Bernardes, J., Ayres de Campos, D.: UCI Machine Learning Repository: Cardiotocography Data Set (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Sherman, I.-B.: On the Role of Genetic Algorithms in the Pattern Recognition Task of Classification. Master’s Thesis, University of Tennessee, 2017. http://trace.tennessee.edu/utk_gradthes/4780
- 11.Sublime, J., Matei, B., Murena, P.-A.: Analysis of the influence of diversity in collaborative and multi-view clustering. In: 2017 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), Anchorage, AK, 4126–4133 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1109/IJCNN.2017.7966377