Visualizing Industrial Development Distance to Better Understand Internationalization of Spanish Companies
- 532 Downloads
The analysis of bilateral distance between home and host countries is a key issue in the internationalization strategy of companies. As a multi-faceted concept, distance encompasses multiple dimensions, with psychic distance being one of the most critical ones for the overseas investments of firms. Among all the psychic distance stimuli that have been proposed until now, the present paper focuses on Industrial Development Distance (IDD). Together with data from both the countries and the companies, IDD is analysed by means of neural projection models based on unsupervised learning, to gain deep knowledge about the internationalization strategy of Spanish large companies. Informative projections are obtained from a real-life dataset, leading to useful conclusions and the identification of those destinations attracting large flows of investment but with a particular idiosyncrasy.
KeywordsArtificial neural networks Unsupervised learning Exploratory projection Industrial development distance Internationalization
The work was conducted during Álvaro Herrero’s research stay at KEDGE Business School in Bordeaux.
- 3.Ghemawat, P.: Distance still matters. Harv. Bus. Rev. 79, 137–147 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Hofstede, G.: Culture’s consequences: international differences in work-related values. Sage Publications, Beverly Hills (1980)Google Scholar
- 6.Hofstede, G., Hofstede, G.J., Minkov, M.: Cultures and organizations: software of the mind. McGraw-Hill, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Dunning, J.H.: Multinational enterprises and the global economy. Addison-Wesley, Wokinham (1993)Google Scholar
- 21.Herrero, Á., Corchado, E., Jiménez, A.: Unsupervised neural models for country and political risk analysis. Expert Syst. Appl. 38, 13641–13661 (2011)Google Scholar
- 27.Seung, H.S., Socci, N.D., Lee, D.: The rectified gaussian distribution. Adv. Neural. Inf. Process. Syst. 10, 350–356 (1998)Google Scholar