The Scottish Provenance of Trump’s Approach to the Media
- 729 Downloads
During the 2016 US presidential campaign (and since), there has been significant commentary about Donald Trump’s aggressive approach to the ‘mainstream media’ and accusations of ‘bias’ in its coverage of particular politicians and movements. This chapter argues that it is a mistake to view this as an isolated phenomenon, and that there was a clear Scottish (and British) precedent for this clash between populist politics and sceptical journalism during the 2014 independence referendum and June 2016 European Union plebiscite. Furthermore, it offers rhetorical examples to illustrate similarities between how Scottish Nationalists, Brexiteers, and Trumpists framed the media as ‘unpatriotic’ opponents of their respective political projects and, more broadly, ‘the nation’.
KeywordsBrexit Mainstream Media Scottish Clearing United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP) Scottish Government
- Baxter, A. (2012), http://www.youvebeentrumped.com/youvebeentrumped.com/THE_MOVIE.html [accessed: 9 July 2017].
- Brooks, L. (2016), https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/21/mad-alex-donald-trump-letters-abuse-ex-scottish-first-minister [accessed: 9 July 2017].
- Carrell, S. (2011), https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/jun/01/alex-salmond-scotland-supreme-court [accessed: 9 July 2017].
- Carrell, S. (2014), https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/15/alex-salmond-bbc-protest-nick-robinson [accessed: 9 July 2017].
- Garavelli, D. (2015), ‘Insight: How Scots leaders fell for Donald Trump’, Scotland on Sunday, 13 December 2015.Google Scholar
- Gordon, T. (2017a), ‘Alex Salmond accused of acting like Donald Trump after attacking “yoon media”’, The Herald, 21 February 2017.Google Scholar
- Gordon, T. (2017b), ‘Sturgeon needs to be bold to revive her tired government’, The Herald, 1 July 2017.Google Scholar
- Gray, I. (2011), ‘Iain Gray attacks “vile poison” of SNP politics, Scotland on Sunday, 30 October 2011.Google Scholar
- Johnson, S. (2014), ‘Alex Salmond criticises leading political journalist during heated interview’, Daily Telegraph, 27 August 2014.Google Scholar
- Katz, I. (2017), ‘Media culpa: journalists are losing the public’s trust’, The Spectator, 8 July 2017.Google Scholar
- Leadsom, A. (2017), https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/24/andrea-leadsom-patriotic-brexit-coverage-newsnight-eu-negotiations [accessed: 9 July 2017]
- Mair, J., Clark, T., Fowler, N., Snoddy, R. and Tait, R. (eds.) (2017), Brexit, Trump and the Media, Bury St Edmunds: Abramis Academic Publishing.Google Scholar
- Robertson, J. (2016), ‘Scottish TV Coverage of the Referendum Campaign from September 2012 to September 2014’, in Blain et al. (eds.), Scotland’s Referendum and the Media, Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.Google Scholar
- Salmond, A. (2015a), The Dream Shall Never Die: 100 Days that Changed Scotland Forever, London: William Collins.Google Scholar
- Salmond, A. (2015b), http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/alex-salmond-claims-nick-robinson-should-be-ashamed-as-he-condemns-bbcs-scottish-referendum-coverage-10469119.html [accessed: 9 July 2017].
- Salmond, A. (2017a), Today, BBC Radio 4, 20 January 2017.Google Scholar
- Salmond, A. (2017b), https://www.bigissue.com/interviews/alex-salmond-regret-daft-early-resignation-snp-leader/ [accessed: 14 September 2017].
- Schofield, K. (2017), https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/snp/alex-salmond/news/87324/alex-salmond-savages-dead-wood-press-and [accessed: 9 July 2017].
- Schreckinger, B. (2016), http://www.politico.eu/article/how-donald-trump-wore-out-his-scottish-welcome-aberdeen-golf-us-presidential-election-2016-america/ [accessed: 9 July 2017].
- Silver, C. (2015), Demanding Democracy: The Case for a Scottish Media, Edinburgh: Word Power Books.Google Scholar
- Sturgeon, N. (2017a), https://www.edbookfest.co.uk/press-release/scotland-s-first-minister-admits-nationalism-a-difficult-word-at-edinburgh-international-book-festival [accessed: 14 September 2017].
- Sturgeon, N. (2017b), http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-41941359 [accessed: 13 December 2017].
- Torrance, D. (2015), Salmond: Against the Odds (third edition), Edinburgh: Birlinn.Google Scholar
- Torrance, D. (2016), Nicola Sturgeon: A Political Life (second edition), Edinburgh: Birlinn.Google Scholar
- Vincent, R. (2017), https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/trump-like-salmond-told-to-grow-up-after-scots-press-attacks/ [accessed: 14 September 2017]