Outlook to an Exciting Future
This chapter will introduce some of the most prevalent themes to watch for in the coming years. I will introduce what blockchain technology may mean for supply management, as well as the significant potential of big data analytics. Major breakthroughs are also expected from the application of artificial intelligence and cognitive computing, destined to disrupt even more how supply management is conducted.
KeywordsBlockchain Big data analytics Data visualization Artificial intelligence Cognitive computing Procurement bots
- Bendoly, E. (2017). Value-Added Data Visualization. LinkedIn Pulse. Retrieved June 14, 2017, from https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/value-added-data-visualization-dr-elliot-bendoly.
- Busch, J. (2016, March 14). IBM and Cognitive Procurement at the Global Procurement Tech Summit. Spend Matters. Retrieved June 13, 2017, from https://spendmatters.com/2016/03/14/ibm-and-cognitive-procurement-at-the-global-procurement-tech-summit/.
- Cavinato, J. L., Dennis, M., Lallatin, C. S., Pohlig, H. M., Sturzl, S. R., Tracey, T., et al. (Eds.). (2015). ISM Glossary of Key Supply Management Terms (6th ed.). Tempe, AZ: Institute for Supply Management®.Google Scholar
- Drew, J. (2017, December 7). Hackers are Holding an Entire County Hostage and Want a Ransom of $23,000 or ‘2 Bitcoins’. Money. Retrieved December 20, 2017, from http://time.com/money/5053830/hackers-are-holding-an-entire-county-hostage-and-want-a-ransom-of-23000-or-2-bitcoins/.
- Ericson, C., & Raudabaugh, J. (2008). Accelerating Sourcing Cycle Times. Supply Chain Management Review, 12(1), 54–55.Google Scholar
- Ericson, C., & Rycraft, S. (2011). The Evolution of Supply Management. Supply Chain Management Review, 15(5), 48–49.Google Scholar
- GEP. (2018). Emerging Technologies E-Guide. GEP.Google Scholar
- Gutman, A., & Perlin, M. (2012, January 31). Devastating Outages and Failures of Major Brands in 2011. Evolven. Retrieved December 5, 2017, from https://www.evolven.com/blog/2011-devastating-outages-major-brands.html.
- Iansiti, M., & Lakhani, K. R. (2017). The Truth about Blockchain. Harvard Business Review, 95(1), 118–127.Google Scholar
- IBM. (2017). Blockchain 101. IBM Infographic. Retrieved December 21, 2017 from https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?htmlfid=XI912346USEN&.
- Jennings, R. J. (2017). Time is Ripe for Cognitive Procurement. Inside Supply Management®, 28(1), 32.Google Scholar
- KPMG. (2017). Delivering the Value in Procurement with Robotic Process Automation. KPMG Whitepaper.Google Scholar
- Maltaverne, B. (2017, March 27). Cognitive Procurement—What are the Implications? IBIS World. Retrieved June 15, 2017, from https://www.ibisworld.com/media/2017/03/27/cognitive-procurement-implications/.
- Monahan, S., & Anand, S. (2016). Conquering Supply Chain’s next Frontier. Supply Chain Management Review, 20(4), 46–47.Google Scholar
- Schoenherr, T. (2018a). Leadership and Transformation in Supply Management. Tempe, AZ: Institute for Supply Management®.Google Scholar
- Schoenherr, T. (2018b). System Capability and Technology. In CPSM Study Guide (Vol. 3, 3rd ed.). Tempe, AZ: Institute for Supply Management®.Google Scholar
- Sengupta, S. (2013). 10 Trends for the Next 10 Years. Supply Chain Management Review, 17(4), 34–39.Google Scholar
- Trent, R. J. (2017). 5 Supply Chain Trends Happening Now. Supply Chain Management Review, 21(2), 18–24.Google Scholar
- Vorabutra, J.-A. (2016, October 3). Why Blockchain is a Game Changer for Supply Chain Management Transparency. Supply Chain 24/7. Retrieved April 9, 2018, from http://www.supplychain247.com/article/why_blockchain_is_a_game_changer_for_the_supply_chain.