Improving the Parallel Performance of Overlapping Schwarz Methods by Using a Smaller Energy Minimizing Coarse Space
We consider a recent overlapping Schwarz method with an energy-minimizing coarse space of reduced size. In numerical experiments for up to 64,000 cores, we show that the parallel efficiency and the total time to solution is improved significantly, compared to our previous overlapping Schwarz method using an alternative energy-minimizing coarse space.
This work was supported in part by the German Research Foundation (DFG) through the Priority Programme 1648 “Software for Exascale Computing” (SPPEXA) under grants KL 2094/4-2 and RH 122/3-2. The work of the fourth author was supported by the National Science Foundation Grant DMS-1522736.
The authors gratefully acknowledge the computing time granted by the Center for Computational Sciences and Simulation (CCSS) at Universität Duisburg-Essen and provided on the supercomputer magnitUDE (DFG grants INST 20876/209-1 FUGG, INST 20876/243-1 FUGG) at Zentrum für Informations- und Mediendienste (ZIM).
The authors also gratefully acknowledge the Gauss Centre for Supercomputing e.V. (www.gauss-centre.eu) for providing computing time on the GCS Supercomputer JUQUEEN BG/Q supercomputer  at JSC Jülich. GCS is the alliance of the three national supercomputing centres HLRS (Universität Stuttgart), JSC (Forschungszentrum Jülich), and LRZ (Bayerische Akademie der Wissenschaften), funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and the German State Ministries for Research of Baden-Württemberg (MWK), Bayern (StMWFK) and Nordrhein-Westfalen (MIWF).
- 7.C.R. Dohrmann, A. Klawonn, O.B. Widlund, A family of energy minimizing coarse spaces for overlapping Schwarz preconditioners, in Domain Decomposition Methods in Science and Engineering XVII. Lecture Notes in Computer Science Engineering, vol. 60 (Springer, Berlin, 2008), pp. 247–254Google Scholar
- 9.A. Heinlein, Parallel overlapping Schwarz preconditioners and multiscale discretizations with applications to fluid-structure interaction and highly heterogeneous problems. PhD thesis, Universität zu Köln, Köln, 2016Google Scholar
- 11.A. Heinlein, A. Klawonn, O. Rheinbach, Parallel two-level overlapping Schwarz methods in fluid-structure interaction, in Numerical Mathematics and Advanced Applications ENUMATH 2015, ed. by B. Karasözen, M. Manguoğlu, M. Tezer-Sezgin, S. Göktepe, Ö. Uğur (Springer International Publishing, Cham, 2016), pp. 521–530. Also Preprint 2015-15 at http://tu-freiberg.de/fakult1/forschung/preprints
- 12.A. Heinlein, A. Klawonn, O. Rheinbach, Parallel overlapping Schwarz with an energy-minimizing coarse space, in Domain Decomposition Methods in Science and Engineering XXIII, ed. by C.-O. Lee, X.-C. Cai, D.E. Keyes, H.H. Kim, A. Klawonn, E.-J. Park, O.B. Widlund. Lecture Notes in Computer Science Engineering, vol. 116 (Springer International Publishing, Cham, 2017), pp. 353–360Google Scholar
- 13.M.A. Heroux, R.A. Bartlett, V.E. Howle, R.J. Hoekstra, J.J. Hu, T.G. Kolda, R.B. Lehoucq, K.R. Long, R.P. Pawlowski, E.T. Phipps, A.G. Salinger, H.K. Thornquist, R.S. Tuminaro, J.M. Willenbring, A. Williams, K.S. Stanley, An overview of the Trilinos project. ACM Trans. Math. Softw. 31(3), 397–423 (2005)MathSciNetCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.A. Toselli, O. Widlund, Domain Decomposition Methods—Algorithms and Theory, vol. 34 Springer Series in Computational Mathematics (Springer, Berlin, 2005)Google Scholar
- 17.J. Van lent, R. Scheichl, I.G. Graham, Energy-minimizing coarse spaces for two-level Schwarz methods for multiscale PDEs. Numer. Linear Algebra Appl. 16(10), 775–799 (2009)Google Scholar