A Deep Prediction Architecture for Traffic Flow with Precipitation Information
Traffic flow prediction is an important building block to enabling intelligent transportation systems in a smart city. An accurate prediction model can help the governors make reliable traffic control strategies. In this paper, we propose a deep traffic flow prediction architecture P-DBL, which takes advantage of a deep bi-directional long short-term memory (DBL) model and precipitation information. The proposed model is able to capture the deep features of traffic flow and take full advantage of time-aware traffic flow data and additional precipitation data. We evaluate the prediction architecture on the dataset from Caltrans Performance Measurement System (PeMS) and the precipitation dataset from California Data Exchange Center (CDEC). The experiment results demonstrate that the proposed model for traffic flow prediction obtains high accuracy compared with other models.
KeywordsTraffic flow prediction Bi-directional LSTM Deep hierarchy Precipitation information
This work is supported by “Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities” (XDJK2017C027) and “CERNET Innovation Project” (NGII20170516).
- 2.Abadi, A., Rajabioun, T., Ioannou, P.A.: Traffic flow prediction for road transportation networks with limited traffic data. IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst. 16(2), 653–662 (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Ahmed, M.S., Cook, A.R.: Analysis of freeway traffic time-series data by using Box-Jenkins techniques (1979)Google Scholar
- 7.Leshem, G.: Traffic flow prediction using adaboost algorithm with random forests as a weak learner. Enformatika 193 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Lv, Y., Duan, Y., Kang, W., Li, Z., Wang, F.Y.: Traffic flow prediction with big data: a deep learning approach. IEEE Trans. Intell. Transp. Syst. 16(2), 865–873 (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Tian, Y., Pan, L.: Predicting short-term traffic flow by long short-term memory recurrent neural network. In: IEEE International Conference on Smart City/SocialCom/SustainCom, pp. 153–158 (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Yao, H., Wu, F., Ke, J., Tang, X., Jia, Y., Lu, S., Gong, P., Ye, J.: Deep multi-view spatial-temporal network for taxi demand prediction. arXiv preprint arXiv:1802.08714 (2018)
- 15.Ibrahim, A.T., Hall, F.L.: Effect of adverse weather conditions on speed-flow-occupancy relationships (1994)Google Scholar
- 16.Wu, Y., Schuster, M., Chen, Z., Le, Q.V., Norouzi, M., Macherey, W., Krikun, M., Cao, Y., Gao, Q., Macherey, K.: Google’s neural machine translation system: bridging the gap between human and machine translation (2016)Google Scholar
- 17.He, K., Zhang, X., Ren, S., Sun, J.: Deep residual learning for image recognition. In: Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 770–778 (2016)Google Scholar
- 19.Hinton, G.E., Srivastava, N., Krizhevsky, A., Sutskever, I., Salakhutdinov, R.R.: Improving neural networks by preventing co-adaptation of feature detectors. Comput. Sci. 3(4), 212–223 (2012)Google Scholar