Taking Advantage of the Innovation in Die Service Design
The present work has been planned to satisfy the needs of the metal-mechanic industry in Mexico, San Juan del Río, which generates 16% of the Gross Domestic Product and counts with 8,932 economic units in Mexico. The metal-mechanic sector is a pillar for other industrial activities. This work focuses on the thinking skills for designing dies as tooling that are used to punch metal parts with high or low production volumes. Design skills, due to a lack of investment and development, have been lagging in Mexico, compared to foreign markets, which export tooling to Mexico mainly from Asia, for 2,600 Million Dollars (MDD) per year. Consequently, the objective of this chapter is to demonstrate that the service is feasible from different points of view. Based on the scientific method, this research work is structured to reach next objectives: (1) To detect the need to locate the market that allows the creation of the company and (2) To deploy the product lifecycle method to determine the stages that a product must follow from its conception to the manufacturing process. Results show that the market will accept the new service with the expected profitability of 195% the first year. The product also provides opportunities for growth and improvement with a competitive service price that has the potential to solve some market needs that would help the development of the industry in Mexico.
- Apparao, K.C., Birru, A.K. (2017). Optimization of die casting process based on taguchi approach. Materials Today: Proceedings 4 (2):1852–1859. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2017.02.029.
- Castillo, J.C. (2001). Desarrollo de una técnica de diseño de troqueles de alta velocidad para producir laminación rotor-estator grapado. Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León, San Nicolás de los Garza, N. L. México.Google Scholar
- Gordon, W.A., Van Tyne, C.J., Moon, Y.H. (2007). Overview of adaptable die design for extrusions. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 187–188 (Supplement C):662–667. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.11.158.
- Hawryluk, M., Zwierzchowski, M., Marciniak, M., Sadowski, P. (2017). Phenomena and degradation mechanisms in the surface layer of die inserts used in the hot forging processes. Engineering Failure Analysis 79:313–329. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2017.04.036.
- INEGI (2017) Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía. http://www.inegi.org.mx/. Accessed 14 Mar 2017.
- Ma Y, Lou M, Li Y, Lin Z (2018) Effect of rivet and die on self-piercing rivetability of AA6061-T6 and mild steel CR4 of different gauges. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 251:282–294. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2017.08.020.
- Monfared, A., Liu, W., Zhang, L. (2017). On the adhesion between metallic glass and dies during thermoplastic forming. Journal of Alloys and Compounds 711:235–242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2017.04.005.
- Proméxico (2017). PRO México, Trade and investment. www.promexico.gob.mx/en/mx/home.
- Shop, M.M. (2015). Industria de moldes y troqueles en México. http://www.mmsmexico.com/art%C3%ADculos/industria-de-moldes-y-troqueles-en-mxico. Accessed 15 Jul 2017.