RYGB confers enormous benefits to the morbidly obese patient as far as sustained weight loss and comorbidity resolution. This is the only weight loss procedure with a significant amount of data on long-term outcome. While it is a complex operation that demands high level of surgical skills overall, the incidence of complications is minimal. The recognition, assessment, and management of possible surgical complications are described in detail in this chapter. Malabsorption of micro- and macronutrients has the potential for severe (and irreversible) nutritional deficiencies in a noncompliant patient. The bariatric surgeon and multidisciplinary team need to be able to manage the patient through the perioperative course and deal with potential complications associated to this operation.
KeywordsRoux-en-Y gastric bypass Roux-en-Y gastric bypass operative technique Roux-en-Y gastric bypass indications Roux-en-Y gastric bypass complications Roux-en-Y gastric bypass complication management
- 11.Ibrahim AM, Ghaferi AA, Thumma JR, Dimick JB. Variation in outcomes at bariatric surgery centers of excellence. JAMA Surg. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2017.0542. [Epub ahead of print].
- 14.Sjöström L, Peltonen M, Jacobson P, Sjöström CD, Karason K, Wedel H, Ahlin S, Anveden Å, Bengtsson C, Bergmark G, Bouchard C, Carlsson B, Dahlgren S, Karlsson J, Lindroos AK, Lönroth H, Narbro K, Näslund I, Olbers T, Svensson PA, Carlsson LM. Bariatric surgery and long-term cardiovascular events. JAMA. 2012;307(1):56–65.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Kothari SN, Borgert AJ, Kallies KJ, Baker MT, Grover BT. Long-term (>10-year) outcomes after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soard.2016.12.011. [Epub ahead of print].
- 17.Peterli R, Wölnerhanssen BK, Vetter D, Nett P, Gass M, Borbély Y, Peters T, Schiesser M, Schultes B, Beglinger C, Drewe J, Bueter M. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy versus roux-Y-gastric bypass for morbid Obesity-3-year outcomes of the prospective randomized Swiss multicenter bypass or sleeve study (SM-BOSS). Ann Surg. 2017;265(3):466–73.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Adams TD, Davidson LE, Litwin SE, Kolotkin RL, LaMonte MJ, Pendleton RC, Strong MB, Vinik R, Wanner NA, Hopkins PN, Gress RE, Walker JM, Cloward TV, Nuttall RT, Hammoud A, Greenwood JL, Crosby RD, McKinlay R, Simper SC, Smith SC, Hunt SC. Health benefits of gastric bypass surgery after 6 years. JAMA. 2012;308(11):1122–31.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar