The Impacts of Additive Manufacturing on Production Systems
- 410 Downloads
Additive Manufacturing adoption has been growing in adoption in the last decades, holding the potential to fundamentally transform traditional production systems. Yet, its prospected impact on Production Systems and Operations Strategy is controversial. This article contributes to this debate by examining and summarizing the prospected impact of Additive Manufacturing on Production Systems, in the light of the Competitive Dimensions through a Systematic Literature Review. In particular, this paper organises this debate by highlighting the specific impacts prospected by the literature for each competitive dimension.
KeywordsAdditive manufacturing Production systems Competitive factors
- Antunes, J. A. V., et al. (2008). Sistemas de Produção: Conceitos e práticas para projeto e gestão da produção enxuta. Porto Alegre: Bookman.Google Scholar
- Antunes, J. A. V., Jr., et al. (2014). Estratégia de Produção—20 Artigos Clássicos Para Aumentar A Competitividade da Empresa. Porto Alegre: Bookman.Google Scholar
- Bardin, L. (2011). Análise de conteúdo.Google Scholar
- Black, J. T. (1998). O projeto da fábrica com futuro. Porto Alegre: Bookman.Google Scholar
- Bobb, L. M., Shapiro, S., & Harris, P. (2012). The productivity paradox: A philosophical analysis and its impact in management. Global Conference on Business & Finance Proceedings, 7(2), 33. Institute for Business & Finance Research.Google Scholar
- D’Aveni, R. (2015). The 3-D printing revolution. Harvard Business Review, 93(5), 40–48. Harvard Business School Publication Corp.Google Scholar
- Dias, M. F. P., & Fensterseifer, J. E. (2005). Critérios Competitivos de operações agroindustriais: um estudo de caso na indústria arrozeira. Revista Eletrônica de Administração, 11(3).Google Scholar
- Farish, M. (2015). A new dimension. Automotive Manufacturing Solutions, 16(4), 58–59. Ultima Media.Google Scholar
- Ford, S. L. N. (2014). Additive manufacturing technology: Potential implications for U.S. manufacturing competitiveness. Journal of International Commerce & Economics, 1–35. U.S. International Trade Commission, Office of Industries.Google Scholar
- Frazier, W. (2014). Metal additive manufacturing: A review. Journal of Materials Engineering & Performance, 23(6), 1917–1928. Springer Science & Business Media B.V.Google Scholar
- Gardiner, G. (2015). 3D printing: Niche or next step to manufacturing on demand? Composites Technology, 1(5), 42–47. Gardner Publications, Inc.Google Scholar
- IDA. (2012). Emerging global trends in advanced manufacturing. Alexandria: Institute for Defense Analyses.Google Scholar
- Le Bourhis, F., et al. (2013). Sustainable manufacturing: Evaluation and modeling of environmental impacts in additive manufacturing. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 69(9–12), 1927–1939. Springer Science & Business Media B.V.Google Scholar
- Lira, A. C. de Q., Gomes, M. de L. B., & Cavalcanti, V. Y. S. de L. (2015). Modelo de alinhamento estratégico de produção—MAP : contribuição teórica para a área de estratégia de produção. 416–427. https://doi.org/10.1590/0103-6513.069911.
- Long, Y., et al. (2017). 3D printing technology and its impact on Chinese manufacturing. International Journal of Production Research, 7543(January), 1–10. Taylor & Francis. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2017.1280196.
- Mahamood, R. M., et al. (2014). Revolutionary additive manufacturing: An overview. Lasers in Engineering (Old City Publishing), 27(3/4), 161–178. Old City Publishing, Inc.Google Scholar
- Miller, R. (2014). Additive manufacturing (3D printing): Past, present and future. Industrial Heating, 82(5), 39–43. BNP Media.Google Scholar
- Morandi, M. I. W. M., & Camargo, L. F. R. (2015). Systematic literature review. In A. Dresch, D. P. Lacerda, & J. A. V. Antunes Jr. (Eds.), Design science research a method for science and technology advancement (p. 161). London: Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-07374-3.
- Petrick, I. J., & Simpson, T. W. (2013). 3D printing disrupts manufacturing. Research Technology Management, 56(6), 12–16. Industrial Research Institute, Inc.Google Scholar
- Pickett, L. (2015). 3-D printing: The new normal. Appliance Design, 63(2), 18–21. BNP Media.Google Scholar
- Prince, J. D. (2014). 3D printing: An industrial revolution. Journal of Electronic Resources in Medical Libraries, 11(1), 39–45. Taylor & Francis Ltd.Google Scholar
- Salles, A. S., & Gyi, D. E. (2013). Delivering personalised insoles to the high street using additive manufacturing. International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing, 26(5), 386–400. Taylor & Francis Ltd.Google Scholar
- Shulman, H., Spradling, D., & Hoag, C. (2012). Introduction to additive manufacturing. Ceramic Industry, 162(12), 15–19. BNP Media.Google Scholar
- Skinner, W. (1974). The focused factory. Harvard Business Review, 1(May–June), 113–122.Google Scholar
- Slack, N., & Lewis, M. (2010). Operations strategy. Financial Times/Prentice Hall. https://doi.org/10.1017/cbo9781107415324.004.
- Stratfor Geopolitical Diary. (2013). Will additive manufacturing replace conventional manufacturing? Stratfor Geopolitical Diary. Stratfor, p. 20.Google Scholar
- Tuomi, J., et al. (2014). A novel classification and online platform for planning and documentation of medical applications of additive manufacturing. Surgical Innovation, 21(6), 553–559. Aalto University, Department of Engineering Design and Production, School of Engineering, Aalto, Espoo, Finland: Sage Publications. https://doi.org/10.1177/1553350614524838.
- Wray, P. (2014). Additive manufacturing–Turning manufacturing inside out (Cover story). American Ceramic Society Bulletin, 93(3), 17–23. American Ceramic Society.Google Scholar