Illusionary Correlation, False Causation, and Clustering Illusion
David was a 34-year-old man with temporal lobe epilepsy who presented to a neurologists office for a routine consultation. He had been taking seizure medications for many years, but wished to stop them, saying he was “tired of taking medications.” While his neurologist did not encourage him to do so, he suggested treatment with turmeric, saying that a number of his patients with epilepsy had remarkable reductions in seizure frequency with the use of this medication. David eagerly embraced this approach and was seizure-free on daily turmeric supplements for 6 months.
- 1.Heid M. (2015, Aug 5). You asked: should i take turmeric supplements? TIME. Retrieved from http://time.com/3984504/turmeric-supplements-curcumin/.
- 3.Offit P. (2016, April 11). Anti-vaccine doc ‘Vaxxed’: a doctor’s film review. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved from https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/anti-vaccine-doc-vaxxed-a-882651.
- 4.36 School shooters/school related violence committed by those under the influence of psychiatric drugs (n.d.). CCHR International: The Mental Health Watchdog. Retrieved from https://www.cchrint.org/school-shooters/.
- 5.Pierre J. (2015, June 20). Mass shootings, psychiatric medications, and Rick Perry [Blog post]. Psychology Today. Retrieved from https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/psych-unseen/201506/mass-shootings-psychiatric-medications-and-rick-perry.
- 6.PiratesVsTemp(en) [Image file]. (n.d.). In: Wikipedia. Retrieved 15 Sept 2018 from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File%3aPiratesVsTemp%28en%29.svg.
- 7.Bloom J. (2017, June 7). MIT researcher: glyphosate will cause half of all children to be autistic by 2025. Yeah, sure. American Council on Science and Health. Retrieved from https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/06/07/mit-researcher-glyphosate-will-cause-half-all-children-be-autistic-2025-yeah-sure-11337.
- 8.Seneff S. (n.d.). Dr Tony Bark, MD interviews Dr Stepnanie Seneff, PhD and Vaccines CONFIRMED to be tainted with glyphosate [Video files]. Vaccine-Injury.info. Retrieved from http://vaccine-injury.info/gmo-autism-link.cfm.
- 9.Gonzalez R. (2014, Jan 5). On correlation, causation, and the “real” cause of autism. Gizmodo. Retrieved from https://io9.gizmodo.com/on-correlation-causation-and-the-real-cause-of-auti-1494972271.
- 10.Vigen T. (n.d.). Spurious correlations. Retrieved 15 Sept 2018 from http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations.
- 11.Siemieniuk RA, Harris IA, Agoritsas T, Poolman RW, Brignardello-Petersen R, Van de Velde S, Buchbinder R, Englund M, Lytvyn L, Quinlan C, Helsingen L, Knutsen G, Olsen NR, Macdonald H, Hailey L, Wilson HM, Lydiatt A, Kristiansen A. Arthroscopic surgery for degenerative knee arthritis and meniscal tears: a clinical practice guideline. BMJ. 2017;357:j1982. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.j1982.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 13.U.S. Department of Health & Humans Services, National Institutes of Health, National, Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. (2012, Feb 29). Lower heart disease risk: menopausal hormone therapy and heart disease. Retrieved from https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/hearttruth/lower-risk/hormone-therapy.htm.
- 16.CaitlinJo. (2013, July 13). RandomPoints [Animated image file]. In: Wikipedia. Retrieved 15 Sept 2018 from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clustering_illusion#/media/File:RandomPoints.gif.
- 17.Birthday problem. (2018, Sept 17). In: Wikipedia. Retrieved 17 Sept 2018 from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem.
- 19.Snow cholera map [Image file]. (n.d.). In: Wikipedia. Retrieved 15 Sept 2018 from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Snow-cholera-map-1.jpg.