A Unified Approach to Forward Kinematics for Cable-Driven Parallel Robots Based on Energy
This paper deals with a unified approach to forward kinematics for both over-constrained and under-constrained cable robots. Moreover, little assumptions on the cable model are required. This makes the proposed method applicable to a variety of currently discussed cable models including the standard model, an elastic cable model, static cable sagging, or even finite elements model. Solutions to the forward kinematics problem are computed by minimizing potential energy in the cable robot. As shown in this paper, the method unifies forward kinematics of both over-constrained and under-constrained cable robots.
KeywordsCable-driven parallel robots Forward kinematics Cable model
The authors would like to thank the German Research Foundation (DFG) for financial support of the project within the Cluster of Excellence in Simulation Technology (EXC 310/1) at the University of Stuttgart.
- 4.Nguyen, D.Q., Gouttefarde, M., Company, O., Pierrot, F.: On the simplifications of cable model in static analysis of large-dimension cable-driven parallel robots. In: IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Dietmaier, P.: The Stewart-Gough platform of general geometry can have 40 real postures. In: Lenarčič, J., Husty, M.L. (eds.) Advances in Robot Kinematics, pp. 7–16. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Salzburg, Austria (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.Kraus, W.: Force control of cable-driven parallel robots. Ph.D. thesis. Universität Stuttgart, Germany (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Merlet, J.-P.: A generic numerical continuation scheme for solving the direct kinematics of cable-driven parallel robot with deformable cables. In: IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 4337–4343 (2016)Google Scholar
- 12.Merlet, J.-P., Alexandre dit Sandretto, J.: The forward kinematics of cable-driven parallel robots with sagging cables. In: Pott A., Bruckmann T. (eds) Cable-Driven Parallel Robots, pp. 3–15. Springer, Cham (2014)Google Scholar
- 13.Ming, A., Higuchi, T.: Study on multiple degree-of-freedom positioning mechanism using wires (part 2) - development of a planar completely restrained positioning Mechanism. Int. J. Japan Soc. Precis. Eng. 28(3), 235–242 (1994)Google Scholar
- 15.Pott, A., Schmidt, V.: On the forward kinematics of cable-driven parallel robots. In: IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3182–3187 (2015)Google Scholar
- 16.Schmidt, V., Pott, A.: Implementing extended kinematics of a cable-driven parallel robot in real-time. In: Cable-Driven Parallel Robots. Mechanisms and Machine Science, pp. 287–298. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)Google Scholar