The History of Eurasian Integration: 1991–2016
This chapter presents a concise overview of the history of the post-Soviet integration that began in 1991. We start with the disintegration processes of the 1990s and the first half of the 2000s. We describe the mechanisms of the “civilized divorce” between the former republics of the Soviet Union. We then identify the newly independent states’ first attempts to secure major trade, economic, and infrastructure ties with one another, including several false starts. We discuss in depth the path from the establishment of the Customs Union Commission and the enactment of the Common Customs Tariff to the signing of the agreement to create the Single Economic Space. Finally, we look at the EAEU Treaty that came into effect in 2015.
- Gleason, G. (2004). The Reintegration of Eurasia: Functional Theory and Inter-state Policy Coordination. In: Khudoley, K. (ed.) Post-Communist Countries in the Globalizing World. Saint Petersburg: Saint Petersburg State University Press.Google Scholar
- Libman, A. (2014). Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) and Eurasian Economic Community (EurAsEC). In: Levi, L., Finizio, G. and Vallinoto, N. (eds.) The Democratization of International Institutions. First International Democracy Report. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Libman, A. and Vinokurov, E. (2018, forthcoming). Autocracies and Regional Integration: The Eurasian Case. Post-Communist Economies.Google Scholar
- Nazarbayev, N. (2012). “Our peoples have lived together for centuries, and the strengthening of neighbourly relations is consistent with the vital interests of millions of people”. Speech by the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan at Moscow State University. Moscow, 29 March 1994. In: N. Nazarbayev. When a Thought Becomes Reality. Moscow: Khudozhestvennaya Literatura, pp. 28–33.Google Scholar
- Nurymbetova, G. and Kudaibergenov, R. (2010). Foreign Policy Initiatives of the President of Kazakhstan N.A. Nazarbayev. Historical and Documentary Research. Almaty: Kazakh Encyclopaedia.Google Scholar
- Vinokurov, E., Libman, A., De Lombaerde, Ph., Maqsimchook, N., Moldabekov, Ye. (2009). The System of Indicators of Eurasian Integration 2009. Almaty: Eurasian Development Bank. Available at: https://eabr.org/en/analytics/integration-research/cii-reports/edb-system-of-indicators-of-eurasian-integration/.Google Scholar