Delay Efficient Load Balancing Scheme for Component Carrier Selection in Carrier Aggregation in LTE-A
In LTE-A, Carrier Aggregation allows the user to simultaneously transmit and receive data on multiple carriers resulting in increased throughputs. The Radio Resource Management (RRM) framework of Long Term Evolution (LTE) is thus modified, as not one but more Component Carriers (CCs) are assigned to the user. The CC selection mechanism has to be carefully implemented to maximize the load balancing and the spectral efficiency. In this work, a load balancing CC selection scheme is proposed which can be optimized for the Quality of Service (QoS) required by users. Feedback fluid queue model is developed to analyze and optimize the performance of the proposed scheme. It is concluded that the proposed scheme is capable of balancing the load across carriers.
One of the authors (SD) would like to thank the National Board for Higher Mathematics, India, for financial support given to them during the preparation of the paper.
- 3.Y. Wang, K.I. Pedersen, P.E. Mogensen, T.B. Sorensen, Carrier load balancing methods with bursty traffic for LTE-Advanced systems, in 20th International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (IEEE, New York, 2008), pp. 22–26Google Scholar
- 4.L. Chen, W. Chen, X. Zhang, D. Yang, Analysis and simulation for spectrum aggregation in LTE-advanced system, in 70th Vehicular Technology Conference Fall (VTC 2009-Fall) (IEEE, New York, 2009), pp. 1–6Google Scholar
- 5.L. Zhang, F. Liu, L. Huang, W. Wang, Traffic load balance methods in the LTE-Advanced system with carrier aggregation, in International Conference on Communications, Circuits and Systems (ICCCAS) (IEEE, New York, 2010), pp. 63–67Google Scholar
- 7.Y.L. Chung, L.J. Jang, Z. Tsai, An efficient downlink packet scheduling algorithm in LTE-advanced systems with carrier aggregation. in Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC) (IEEE, New York, 2011), pp. 632–636Google Scholar
- 9.3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), Further advancements of E-UTRA physical layer aspects. TR 36.814 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Y. Wang, K.I. Pedersen, P.E. Mogensen, T.B. Sorensen, Resource allocation considerations for multi-carrier LTE-Advanced systems operating in backward compatible mode. 20th International Symposium on in Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (IEEE, New York, 2009), pp. 370–374Google Scholar
- 14.Y.L. Chung, L.J. Jang, Z. Tsai, An efficient downlink packet scheduling algorithm in LTE-advanced systems with carrier aggregation, in IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC) (IEEE, New York, 2011), pp. 632–636Google Scholar
- 16.W.R.W. Scheinhardt, Markov-modulated and feedback fluid queues. Universiteit Twente (1998)Google Scholar