Mass Casualties Management in Low-Income Countries
The terms disaster and mass casualty incident (MCI) are often used as synonyms, but they describe different entities in terms of discrepancy between the number of victims and the treatment capacity of the community . In MCI, the number of casualties may strain the responding facilities, but resources are sufficient to cope without outside support. A disaster is a catastrophic event which disrupts the social and community infrastructures and extraordinary means are necessary to cope it, resulting in the need for support from the outside .
- 1.Khan FJ, Hassan M. Disaster planning for mass trauma care: implications for low income countries. Ital J Public Health. 2010;7(2):8.Google Scholar
- 2.United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR), Centre for Research on the Epidemiology of Disasters (CRED). Poverty & death: disaster mortality 1996-2015. www.unisdr.org. [Online] https://www.unisdr.org/we/inform/publications/50589.
- 3.Holthaus E. Poor countries like Nepal are falling behind in preventing disaster. www.slate.it. [Online] http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/04/26/nepal_earthquake_2015_poor_countries_like_haiti_are_underprepared_and_underfunded.html.
- 7.Geiling J, Burkle FM Jr, Amundson D, Dominguez-Cherit G, Gomersall CD, Lim ML, Luyckx V, Sarani B, Uyeki TM, West TE, Christian MD, Devereaux AV, Dichter JR, Kissoon N, Task Force for Mass Critical Care; Task Force for Mass Critical Care. Resource-poor settings: infrastructure and capacity building: care of the critically ill and injured during pandemics and disasters: CHEST consensus statement. Chest. 2014;146(4 Suppl):e156S–67S. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.14-0744.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 13.Shah AA, Rehman A, Sayyed RH, Haider AH, Bawa A, Zafar SN, Zia-Ur-Rehman, Ali K, Zafar H. Impact of a predefined hospital mass casualty response plan in a limited resource setting with no pre-hospital care system. Injury. 2015;46(1):156–61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.injury.2014.08.029. Epub 2014 Aug 19.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Latifi R, Gunn JK, Stroster JA, Zaimi E, Olldashi F, Dogjani A, Kerci M, Draçini X, Kuçani J, Shatri Z, Kociraj A, Boci A, Donaldson RI. The readiness of emergency and trauma care in low- and middle-income countries: a cross-sectional descriptive study of 42 public hospitals in Albania. Int J Emerg Med. 2016;9(1):26. Epub 2016 Oct 7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar