Individual Differences in Trust in Code: The Moderating Effects of Personality on the Trustworthiness-Trust Relationship
The daily use of technology has made people ever more reliant on software. It is important these software systems are produced in a manner that is both efficient and secure. In this context, psychological trust of software is a pertinent aspect of research. The present study explored the relationship of trustworthiness ratings, propensity to trust, and trait suspicion on software reuse. In addition, we explored personality as a moderator of the trustworthiness-reuse relationship, as hypothesized in the interpersonal trust literature . We recruited participants from Amazon’s Mechanical Turk and requested they assess classes of Java code. Analyses revealed trait suspicion influenced decisions to reuse code and moderated the trustworthiness-trust relationship. A dual-process model of information processing was adopted for interpretation of these effects. Implications include contributions to research and theory on psychological trust, as well as practical implications for personnel selection with regard to software production.
KeywordsTrust Suspicion Software reuse
- 7.Alarcon, G.M., Ryan, T.J.: Trustworthiness perceptions of computer code: a heuristic-systematic processing model. In: Proceedings of 51st Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, pp. 5384–5393 (2018). http://hdl.handle.net/10125/50560
- 8.Alarcon, G.M., Gamble, R., Jessup, S.A., Walter, C., Ryan, T.J., Wood, D.W., Calhoun, C.: Application of the heuristic-systematic model to computer code trustworthiness: the influence of reputation and transparency. Cogent Psychol. 4, 1389640 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1080/23311908.2017.1389640CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Funder, D.C.: The Personality Puzzle. WW Norton & Co, New York (1997)Google Scholar
- 16.Calhoun, C., Bobko, P., Schuelke, M., Jessup, S., Ryan, T., Walter, C., Gamble, R.F., Hirshfield, L., Bowling, N., Bragg, C., Khazon, S.: Suspicion, Trust, and Automation (SRA International Inc. Publication No. AFRL-RH-WP-TR-2017-0002) (2017). https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/de09/24c9e525b8003a28c75eec1554baacb6d15a.pdf
- 18.Google: Java Style Guidelines (2014). https://google.github.io/styleguide/javaguide.html