Providing Mission-Critical Services over 5G Radio Access Network
5G is called to introduce a major transformation in communication network architectures with its transition to cloud native networks. This transformation will enable new unique service capabilities that will drive the development of innovative applications. But, for 5G being successful in this task, the identification of the vertical sectors’ requirements is of outmost importance in order to map them into the design of the network architecture. This paper proposes a novel Cloud-Enabled Radio Access Network (CE-RAN) architecture to support Public Safety services at the edge of the network. This proposal leverages Network Functions Virtualisation, Software Defined Networking and Mobile Edge Computing principles to provide Mission-Critical services through an isolated network slice. We suggest a CE-RAN architecture with two levels of cloudification to bring the service closer to the end user.
KeywordsMobile edge computing 5G Cloud-Enabled Radio Access Network CUPS IOPS
The research leading to these results has been supported by the EU funded H2020 5G-PPP project ESSENCE (Grant Agreement Nº 761592) and the Spanish Government’s MINECO project 5GRANVIR (TEC2016-80090-C2-2-R).
- 3.Blanco, B., Fajardo, J.O., Giannoulakis, I., Kafetzakis, E., Peng, S., Pérez-Romero, J., Trajkovska, I., Khodashenas, P.S., Goratti, L., Paolino, M., Sfakianakis, E.: Technology pillars in the architecture of future 5G mobile networks: NFV, MEC and SDN. Comput. Stand. Interf. 54 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csi.2016.12.007CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Fajardo, J.O., et al.: Introducing mobile edge computing capabilities through distributed 5G cloud enabled small cells. Mob. Netw. Appl. (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11036-016-0752-2
- 6.GPP: Technical specification group services and system aspects; system architecture for the 5G system. 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), TR 23.501, July 2017Google Scholar
- 7.GPP: Architecture enhancements for control and user plane separations of EPC nodes. 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), TR 23.214, July 2017Google Scholar
- 8.GPP: Isolated E-UTRAN operation for public safety. 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), TS 22.346, March 2017Google Scholar