Explosion Risks Inside Pharmaceutical, Agro-alimentary and Energetic Industries as a Consequence of Critical Dust Conditions: A Numerical Model to Prevent These Accidents
The dust explosion is the rapid combustion of dust clouds that happens only in particular condition, described by the dust explosion pentagon. It is one of the most critical safety issues in industrial plants, where there are a large production, mobilization and storage of dust such as pharmaceutical and food industries. This phenomenon causes every year about 2000 explosions, and many are the accidents that have involved injuries and deaths. Therefore, it is clear the importance of developing new methods and technologies to prevent and mitigate this kind of accidents. This work shows how computational fluid dynamics can help in dust explosion prevention. A multiphase numerical simulation of a wheat silo is taken into account. During the filling of a silo, there is a temporal interval where the dust concentration reaches the explosibility range. Therefore, the authors evaluate where and when the silos may explode.
KeywordsDust explosion Industrial safety CFD
- 4.Honkeiko colliery mining disaster. Encyclopedia Britannica, London (2009). www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1503377/Honkeiko-colliery-mining-disaster
- 5.U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board: Investigation report: sugar dust explosion and fire. September 2009Google Scholar
- 11.Ciparisse, J., Malizia, A., Poggi, L., Gelfusa, M., Murari, A., Mancini, A., Gaudio, P.: First 3D numerical simulations validated with experimental measurements during a LOVA reproduction inside the new facility STARDUST-Upgrade. Fusion Eng. Des. (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.Ansys – Chapter 7 Multiphase Flow Modeling. https://www.sharcnet.ca/Software/Ansys/16.2.3/en-us/help/cfx_mod/i1384390.html
- 16.Brennen, C.E.: Fundamentals of multiphase flows. Cambridge University Press, Pasadena, CA (2005). Dust explosions – the basics. http://www.dustexplosion.info/dust%20explosions%20-%20the%20basics.htm