Principles of Sound Governance
This chapter has a very central role as it offers a novel set of seven Multilateral Development Bank (MDB) governance principles, developed by the authors. They cover all governance aspects, ranging from the multiple roles of boards and rating agencies to the overshadowed importance of attracting, motivating, and nurturing the right mix of human capital, genuinely dedicated to the global development agenda. These seven MDB-specific governance principles are developed beyond the Basel governance principles, to reflect the complexity of MDBs. The conclusion includes a summary on recent developments as well as an assessment of the level of adherence to the proposed principles—outlining specific areas of improving MDB governance, elaborated in the concluding Chap. 7 (The Future).
- BCBS. 2013. Principles for Effective Risk Data Aggregation and Risk Reporting. Basel Committee on Banking Supervision, 2013 (Progress Report 2015).Google Scholar
- ———. 2015. Guidelines: Corporate Governance Principles for Banks. Basel: Basel Committee on Banking Supervision, Bank for International Settlements. https://www.bis.org/bcbs/publ/d328.pdf.
- Bissell, Richard, and Suresh Nanwani. 2008. Multilateral Development Bank Accountability Mechanisms: Developments and Challenges. Central European Journal of International and Security Studies (CEJISS). http://www.cejiss.org/static/data/uploaded/13835988693526/bissell-nanwani_multilateral_development_bank.pdf.
- BoardSource. 2004. Non-Profit Governance Index 2004. Washington, DC: BoardSource.Google Scholar
- Carter, Colin, and William Lorsch. 2003. Back to the Drawing Board: Designing Corporate Boards for a Complex World. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- Evaluation Cooperation Group of MDBs (ECG). 2012. Big Book on Evaluation Good Practice Standards. https://www.ecgnet.org/document/ecg-big-book-good-practice-standards.
- G20, OECD. 2015. G20/OECD Principles of Corporate Governance. Paris: OECD Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264236882-en.
- Higgs, Derek. 2003. Higgs Report on Non-Executive Directors: Summary Recommendations. http://www.berr.gov.uk/files/file 23012.pdf.
- IMF. 2008. Governance of the IMF, Independent Evaluation Office of the IMF. Washington DC: IMF.Google Scholar
- OECD. 2011. OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises. Paris: OECD. http://mneguidelines.oecd.org/guidelines/.
- Spencer Stuart. 2006a. Board Index, 2006: The Changing Profile of Directors.Google Scholar
- ———. 2006b. UK Board Index, 2006.Google Scholar
- ———. 2006c. Board Index: Italia 2006.Google Scholar
- World Bank. 2003. World Bank Operations Evaluation Department: The First 30 Years. The World Bank. https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/15128.