Investigating the Impact of Road Roughness on Routing Performance: An Evolutionary Algorithm Approach
This paper investigates the use of evolutionary and other meta-heuristic algorithms for routing problems where vehicle operating cost (VOC) and specifically, road roughness, has a significant impact. Three algorithms were implemented, namely a greedy heuristic, simulated annealing and CMA-ES. Simulated annealing delivered statistically significant results and was used to evaluate routes with and without VOC.
This work is based on the research supported wholly/in part by the National Research Foundation of South Africa (Grant Numbers 109273).
- 1.Steyn, W.J., Monismith, C.L., Nokes, W.A., Harvey, J.T., Holland, T.J., Burmas, N.: Challenges confronting road freight transport and the use of vehicle-pavement interaction analysis in addressing these challenges. J. South Afr. Inst. Civil Eng. 54(1), 14–21 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Hansen, N., Ch, P.K.P.E.: Reducing the time complexity of the derandomized evolution strategy with covariance matrix adaptation (CMA-ES). In: Evolutionary Computation. Citeseer (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Kerali, H.R., Robinson, R., Paterson, W.D.O.: Role of the new HDM-4 in highway management. In: Proceedings Fourth International Conference on Managing Pavements, Durban, South Africa, pp. 17–21, May 1998Google Scholar
- 8.Zaabar, I., Chatti, K.: Identification of localized roughness features and their impact on vehicle durability. In: HVTT, vol. 11, pp. 1–13 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Steyn, W.J.vdM., Nokes, W., Du Plessis, L., Agacer, R., Burmas, N., Holland, T.J., Popescu, L.: Selected road condition, vehicle and freight considerations in pavement life cycle assessment. In: International Symposium on Pavement Life Cycle Assessment, Davis, CA, USA, 14–16 October 2014Google Scholar
- 10.Toro, O., Eliana, M., Escobar, Z., Antonio, H., Granada, E.: Literature review of vehicle routing problem in the green transportation context. Revista Luna Azul 42, 362–387 (2016)Google Scholar
- 18.Azi, N., Gendreau, M., Potvin, J.: An adaptive large neighborhood search for a vehicle routing problem with multiple trips. CIRRELT-2010-08 (2010)Google Scholar