An Embedded Classifier for Mobile Robot Localization Using Support Vector Machines and Gray-Level Co-occurrence Matrix
Computer vision applications have been largely incorporated into robotics and industrial automation, improving quality and safety of processes. Such systems involve pattern classifiers for specific functions that, many times, demand high processing time and large data memory. Robotics applications usually deal with restricted resources platforms, in order to preserve battery time and to reduce weight and costs. To assist those applications, this paper presents an investigation on GLCM (Gray Level Co-occurrence Matrix) features and image size for an SVM (Support Vector Machines) classifier that can reduce computer resources utilization while preserving high classifier accuracy. Experimental results show a computing time on the embedded platform of 80.5 ms, with an accuracy above to 99%, to classify images of 80 \(\times \) 60 pixels.
KeywordsComputer vision Neural network applications Robotic applications GLCM SVM
The authors would like to thank the sponsorship from FUNCAP and CAPES via Grant No. 05/2014 FUNCAP/CAPES.
- 4.dGB Earth Sciences: Texture directional: a multi-trace attribute that returns textural information based on a statistical texture classification (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Hall, M.A.: Correlation-based feature subset selection for machine learning. Ph.D. thesis, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Lyons, R.G.: Understanding Digital Signal Processing, 3rd edn. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Oliveira, D.C.D., Wehrmeister, M.A.: Towards real-time people recognition on aerial imagery using convolutional neural networks. In: IEEE 19th International Symposium on Real-Time Distributed Computing (ISORC), pp. 27–34, May 2016Google Scholar
- 10.Sethupathy, J., Veni, S.: Opencv based disease identification of mango leaves. Int. J. Eng. Technol. Sci. Res. - IJETSR 8(5), 1990–1998 (2016)Google Scholar
- 12.da Silva, S.P.P., Marinho, L.B., Almeida, J.S., Rebouças Filho, P.P.: A novel approach for mobile robot localization in topological maps using classification with reject option from structural co-occurrence matrix. In: Felsberg, M., Heyden, A., Krüger, N. (eds.) CAIP 2017. LNCS, vol. 10424, pp. 3–15. Springer, Cham (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-64689-3_1CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Wang, Z.L., Cai, B.G., Yi, F.Z., Li, M.: Reviews on planar region detection for visual navigation of mobile robot under unknown environment. In: Lee, G. (ed.) Advances in Automation and Robotics, pp. 593–601. Springer, Heidelberg (2012). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-25646-2_77CrossRefGoogle Scholar